Galt High School Students Brave Cold Temps After Heater Goes Down
Don't Miss This
- Woman Walking With 2-Year-Old Son Hit, Killed By Man Driving Drunk
- Citrus Heights Gaming Hall Actually Slashes Crime In Surrounding Area
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
Get Breaking News First
Backpack? Check. Lunch? Check. Homework? Check. Snuggie? Check.
Students at Galt High School have had to bundle up after the school’s heating system went down over the Thanksgiving break. Half of the classrooms and offices at the school are hovering in the 50 degree area. The district warned parents to have their kids dress warmer, but it is still pretty chilly.
“We didn’t have space heaters available today, a lot brought their own today, as you see. I have one in my office and my secretary does too, but it hasn’t hardly taken the cold out,” said Galt High School Principal Chuck Howell.
The cause was a gas leak that was reported on Friday when kids were out for Thanksgiving. PG&E shut the leaking gas line off, which happens to feed the high school furnace. Because the line is on school property, the school is responsible for fixing. Principal Howell expects everything up and working later today.
The district decided to keep the school open despite the problem. Parents were given the option of keeping kids home if they were concerned about the cold.