Wall Collapse Triggers Brief Panic At Arden Fair Mall
Don't Miss This
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
- Folsom District’s Response To Seventh-Grader’s Suicide Drawing Heavy Scrutiny
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Reports of an explosion at Arden Fair Mall on Sunday triggered a massive police response and sent shoppers running, but the disturbance was caused by a construction project damaged by the severe weather, authorities said.
A temporary wall for a restaurant construction project collapsed in front of surprised mall customers just after 11:00 a.m., and conflicting reports from witnesses triggered a larger police investigation.
“The patrons in the mall, somehow misconceived or [misheard] the word bang or bomb,” said Sacramento Fire Captain Jonathan Burgess. “Definitely heightened our awareness and response.”
Authorities determined that there was no foul play involved in the collapse, which is believed to have been caused by a sudden gust of wind through one of the mall exits.
Bare Essentials employee Nicole Farina said the loud accident scared shoppers and triggered a chaotic reaction.
“We heard a bunch of screaming people just running,” Farina said.
Nobody was hurt in the incident and there was little disruption to holiday shopping after the scene was cleared.