Wall Collapse Triggers Brief Panic At Arden Fair Mall
Don't Miss This
- Jury Convicts Man Of Killing Ex-Girlfriend In Winters
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Publicly Acknowledges He’s Gay
- Terminally Ill Woman May Postpone Taking Her Life
- Turlock Designer’s Idea Puts Quick, Complex Games In Your Pocket
- How Did Luis Enrique Monroy-Bracamonte Hide In United States Illegally Until Deputy Killings?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Reports of an explosion at Arden Fair Mall on Sunday triggered a massive police response and sent shoppers running, but the disturbance was caused by a construction project damaged by the severe weather, authorities said.
A temporary wall for a restaurant construction project collapsed in front of surprised mall customers just after 11:00 a.m., and conflicting reports from witnesses triggered a larger police investigation.
“The patrons in the mall, somehow misconceived or [misheard] the word bang or bomb,” said Sacramento Fire Captain Jonathan Burgess. “Definitely heightened our awareness and response.”
Authorities determined that there was no foul play involved in the collapse, which is believed to have been caused by a sudden gust of wind through one of the mall exits.
Bare Essentials employee Nicole Farina said the loud accident scared shoppers and triggered a chaotic reaction.
“We heard a bunch of screaming people just running,” Farina said.
Nobody was hurt in the incident and there was little disruption to holiday shopping after the scene was cleared.