Wall Collapse Triggers Brief Panic At Arden Fair Mall
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Reports of an explosion at Arden Fair Mall on Sunday triggered a massive police response and sent shoppers running, but the disturbance was caused by a construction project damaged by the severe weather, authorities said.
A temporary wall for a restaurant construction project collapsed in front of surprised mall customers just after 11:00 a.m., and conflicting reports from witnesses triggered a larger police investigation.
“The patrons in the mall, somehow misconceived or [misheard] the word bang or bomb,” said Sacramento Fire Captain Jonathan Burgess. “Definitely heightened our awareness and response.”
Authorities determined that there was no foul play involved in the collapse, which is believed to have been caused by a sudden gust of wind through one of the mall exits.
Bare Essentials employee Nicole Farina said the loud accident scared shoppers and triggered a chaotic reaction.
“We heard a bunch of screaming people just running,” Farina said.
Nobody was hurt in the incident and there was little disruption to holiday shopping after the scene was cleared.