PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE: Watch live at 6 PM | Debate preview | Clinton, Trump set for high-stakes showdown

State Disability Cards Cause Money Woes For Local Woman

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — The state of California recently switched to paperless disability payments, because it was supposed to speed up the process. But, one woman says now she has no cash for Christmas because of the state.

With just la few days before Christmas, everybody needs money for food, presents and just to celebrate. But for Shelley Campbell, she says it’s the state that’s the Grinch for stealing her family’s Christmas.

With very little in her cabinets and refrigerator, Shelley Campbell is flat out broke.

“There’s nothing in there. I don’t so much as have a quarter,” says Shelley.

And with no money, she can’t buy her family anything special for the holiday.

Shelley relies solely on her disability check for the state to pay her bills.  Now, the state is no longer issuing checks, and instead going paperless and issuing debit cards, Shelley is still waiting for hers to come in the mail.

“I can’t so much as afford a dinner,” she says.

The state says people should be receiving their debit cards within a day of getting their mailed pay stubs.

Shelly’s debit card is now five days late.

“I wanted to jump off a balcony,” says Shelley.

So far, the E.D.D. which pays the benefits, says $40,000 people are now using the debit card system and they’ve only received five complaints similar to Shelley’s.  But, Shelley wonders if there really are a lot more, but just not as desperate as she is.

“Where does that leave me when I depend on my check every two weeks, it’s not fair,” Shelley said.

Now the state says once everybody has the debit card, it will make the process much easier for people to get their money rather than waiting for a check to come in the mail.

By next spring, people on unemployment will be using the cards as well.

Comments

1. SRB says:

This has happened to me as well. I have another week on disability due to surgery. I can’t wait to go back to work. After calling EDD on Tuesday and holding for over an hour and dealing with them hanging up numerous times, I was finally told I should get the card by Friday Dec 24th and that it was mailed on Saturday. I am not optimistic today is Dec 23rd and my mail doesn’t run until after 2:30pm. My holiday plans are ruined and I had to borrow money to pay bills that automatically come out of my acct. I will be thankful to be alive and with my family during this holiday season.

1. single mom in california says:

I am in the same situation. Mine was mailed supposedly on the 18th also. I’m very upset. They have ruined many peoples Christmas. I know someone who got his card on the same day his normal disability usually comes. How does that happen for one and not for all?

2. conserver1 says:

If I were one of the $40,000 people, I wouldn’t complain.

1. SRB says:

Why not? I pay taxes and due to unforseen situations there may be a need for disability. Any delay in payment is a hassle. They dont delay taking money from my paychecks.

1. heavy_sigh says:

Uh, conserver1 was making a facetious comment regarding CBS 13’s steadily declining literacy.

3. single mom in california says:

I usually get my check on Monday. As of today Thursday I still do not have my card yet. After 13 tries and waiting on hold an hour, I finally got to talk to a representative. He said the card is coming from Georgia and could take a week. Everyday I check the mail, and everyday it’s a huge let down. Nice thing to do to people right before Christmas. I wonder how many children wont get a present or christmas dinner because of this.

4. debbie says:

IMy card was sent out on the 17th, I still do not have it. I too had to borrow money to help with food. I have a 5 year old daughter. Luckily I started buying her presents last month. I’ll be glad when I am able to go back to work.

5. BDR says:

Not even two weeks since SDI started electronically converting claims & this person has not yet prepared for Christmas? So, is SDI just supposed to jump because all of a sudden Christmas is a priority? Wouldn’t one rather pay bills on time in the future, hopefully, made possible since no would be able to steal an SDI check from the mail anymore & cash it?

6. BDR says:

If one’s experience with SDI is bad it may very well be because SDI employees are not doing their jobs, but it may also be that those calling SDI have the following problems: incomplete info submitted; poor education, illiteracy, or not speaking English despite years of residency; unresponsive doctors, employers, claimants, or workers compensation adjustors; no interest in claim, expecting EDD employees to do & know all; laziness in one’s SDI affairs. Get it together, people!

7. debra says:

The cards are coming from Bank of America. Not EDD. Everyone should be upset with EDD!!!

8. rhb says:

wife had surgery not able to go to bank if she needs money can’t get out to bank of america to get money. this new system sucks. have a good day,edd With a check I could deposit an take out 20dollars If she went to atm would be charge to use the service

9. Ron Henry says:

I guess this story does not warrant a follow up, it is now the 18th of January an I just got what I thought to be my check like I do every 14 days due to being on auto payments but no check. My statement says paid thru 1/13 and sent on 1/15. So I call Bank of America and they tell me that my card will be issued in the next day or so and will take 5 days or so to get here. I like the auto payment system and I use the auto payment system at my own bank (not BOA) so I have bills that are going to come thru my bank and bounce due to this new system. If BOA has my money already, since the 15th and I will not have access until at the earliest the 22nd and they know this money will not and can not be accessed, now multiply this by 20,000 people, now by 50,000 people. NOW MULTIPLY THIS BY 1,000,000 OR THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE ON UNEMPLOYMENT WHEN THIS SYSTEM APPLIES TO THEM IN THE NEXT 2 MONTHS. Bank of America was issued $700.00 on the 15th of January in my name for a debit card account, this was done in a split second, but I still won’t have any money until the 22nd. And if you say I should have saved my money, I did but just paid $2500 for my co-pay to have a lung removed and now I’m broke.How much money is BOA going to make on all these accounts that they know will not be able to be accessed. I think this story needs to be looked at a little closer

10. VeryConcerned says:

I hope they got the kinks out of they’re system! My check was authorized on the 3rd, today is the 7th and I received a statement saying that I had been paid… Where’s the flipping card?! I called the CS# and they said it was sent out on Saturday! Which is 2 days after the authorization date. Well I pray it will be here tomorrow, my rent is past due and my property management company isn’t the most accommodating!

11. H AND R says:

MY FAMILY IS NOW A CASUALTY OF THE NEW AND IMPROVED PAPERLESS SYSTEM. ISN’T IT LOGICAL TO SEND THE DEBIT CARDS OUT WAY BEFORE THE MONEY IS PLACED IN THE ACCOUNT? WHO IN THE CA GOVT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS? WE HAVE THE SAME HORROR STORY AS MANY OF THE PREVIOUS POSTS. NO MONEY FOR FOOD, GAS OR RENT. WHEN ONE LIVES PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK IT IS NOT BECAUSE THEY WANT TO. MANY WHO ARE ABLE TO WORK, LIVE FROM ONE PAYDAY TO THE NEXT. THOSE WHO ARE DISABLED HAVE VERY LITTLE OPTIONS. I AM ALL ABOUT GOING GREEN AND SAVING MONEY AND PAPER. HOWEVER, THESE SYSTEMS SHOULD BE MUCH MORE THOUGHT OUT. WE WERE TOLD THIS SYSTEM WOULDN’T COMMENCE UNTIL SPRING? DID SPRING COME EARLY BECAUSE MY CALENDER SAYS TODAY IS FEB 14TH! IT IS STILL WINTER! CA COUNTS ON US FOR TAX REVENUE! SOME OF US MUST COUNT ON THEM IN TIMES OF CRISIS. IF THE EDD, DI AND SDI KNEW IN DECEMBER THAT MANY WERE NOT ABLE TO ACCESS FUNDS WHY HASN’T THIS PROBLEM BEEN CORRECTED. I KNOW WHY, AT THE END OF THE DAY THEY (BANK OF AMERICA) AND EDD AND SDI AND DI GET TO HOLD ON TO OUR MONEY A LITTLE BIT LONGER! ITS ALWAYS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. BOA SHAME ON YOU, AND TO WHOMEVER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ILL THOUGHT OUT NEW SYSTEM, SHAME ON YOU TOO! MANY CALIFORNIANS WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THEIR JOBS SINCE THEY OBVIOUSLY AREN’T CAPABLE!

12. H AND R says:

FOLLOW UP TO PREVIOUS POST. I JUST CALLED THE BIG WIGS IN SACRAMENTO. IF A PERSON IS IN THIS SITUATION, (FUNDS IN BO OF A ACCOUNT BUT STILL WAITING ON DEBIT CARD) WE MAY FAX THEM (SACRAMENTO) OUR COMMENTS, COMPLAINTS, CONCERNS TO FAX NUMBER 916-657-5294. LET THEM KNOW YOUR SPECIFIC SITUATION AND SUGGEST THAT THESE CARDS BE MAILED OUT WAY BEFORE FUNDS ARE DISTRIBUTED. I UNDERSTAND THAT IT WON’T HELP THOSE WHO ARE SUFFERING NOW BUT MAYBE WE CAN HELP THOSE WHO ARE STILL GOING TO HAVE TO FACE THIS ISSUE IN THE FUTURE. I HOPE THIS HELPS. WE STILL HAVE POWER TO COMMUNICATE TO THEM AND HOPEFULLY THE BIG WIGS WHO HAVE THE ULTIMATE POWER COULD TRY TO UNDERSTAND THAT EVEN TOUGH THEY BELIEVE THE “ENDS WILL JUSTIFY THE MEANS” (THIS IS WAS I WAS TOLD BY THE GENTLEMAN WHO ANSWERED THE PHONE ), MY BILL COLLECTOR’S AND LANDLORD DON’T UNDERSTAND THAT THE ENDS WILL JUSTIFY THE MEANS. BEST OF WISHES TO ALL IN THIS SITUATION. FAX THEM AND I HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPS ANYONE WHO IS SUFFERING CURRENTLY! THANKS ALL, H AND R!

13. Delbert Carpenter Jr. says:

I’m having the same problem as most of the previous posts. I have been on disability since 12/2010. My checks stopped the end of January 2011 and my money was put on a debit card that I still have not received. It is March 18, 2011. I have contacted the disability office and Bank of America. I was told the card was in the mail. Ha! Never will I do any business with Bank of America. I have bills to pay and would like to buy food someday.