Modesto Police K-9 Tracks Down Robber
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
MODESTO (CBS13) — A suspected robber is now behind bars thanks to a K-9 crime fighter who was able to sniff out the suspect.
“If the dog wouldn’t have been there, he probably wouldn’t have been caught,” says Officer James Murphy, Modesto Police Department.
Modesto Police K-9 named “Caesar” led cops right to the suspected robber and wanted parolee Jesse Bryant’s door.
Officers got the call for help from a Rue 21 store employee. The young woman told police that an armed robber stormed the clothing store on Plaza Parkway in Modesto.
Acting on a tip, detectives headed across town to N. 9th Street where Caesar sniffed around for clues to find the suspect.
“Once I found an actual footprint on the ground, I tracked from the spot,” says Officer Murphy.
But, Caesar’s senses were dead on. From that footprint, he followed the scent for two full blocks, and police say that it led to Bryant’s hideout.
Once inside, police say that they found Bryant, a gun and cash.
Police say that Caesar is a five-year-old German Shepherd trained to track bad guys, and for cracking the case, the crime fighting K-9 got a special treat.
“He did get a treat – an In N Out Double Double just for him!” said Officer Murphy.