Victim’s Family Sues Schwarzenegger Over Clemency

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (CBS13/AP) — The parents of a murdered college student say former Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger “messed with the wrong family” in issuing an 11th-hour clemency for the son of a political ally.

Fred and Kathy Santos filed a lawsuit Thursday in Sacramento County Superior Court asking the court to restore a 16-year sentence for Esteban Nunez, the son of former state Assembly speaker Fabian Nunez.

“Justice must be restored and the law must be followed by everyone, including the governor of the State of California,” said Fred Santos.

Schwarzenegger lowered the sentence to seven years the night before he left office and did not contact the family or the San Diego County District Attorney’s office beforehand.

Esteban Nunez, who is 21, pleaded guilty for his involvement in the stabbing death of 22-year-old Luis Santos on the San Diego State University campus in 2008.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. MP says:

Arnold was moaning and groaning the other day about how he’d lost $200,000 in movies he could have made by “serving” the people of the state of CA. I hope these people win, at a minimum, $200,000 as a result of their suit.

1. DB says:

I’m really happy the Santos family is holding Arnold personally responsible. In addition, we, the residents of California are the ones who are moaning and groaning. WE spent millions on a recall campaign that was clearly unnecessary. For Arnie to complain is beyond my comprehension. He chose to run. He only won due to his movie star popularity. In the end, not only did he do NO BETTER than Gray Davis, one of his final acts was to lessen the sentence of a murderer!!

2. Old Hippie says:

Er, the figure was $200 million, not $200,000. Are you by any chance a state legislator? That would explain your mistake…

2. pynaetlb says:

Arnold should spend time in prison for his influence peddling.

3. Jack says:

I’m glad the victim’s family brought suit. For too long politicians act like they are above the law. Arnold commuted the sentence for the son of his colleague and friend, not out of any sense of justice. He did it because he thinks he can get away with it, percieving himself as well as other members of the “ruling class” as having special privileges over the rest of society. Well, get ready for dose of harsh reality on this one. Arnold, what a pathetic excuse for a governor. !!

4. Marvin Shaver says:

If the punk pled guilty to the crime who the hell does Arnie think he is to reduce the sentence.

5. Pynnside says:

Sounds like a bunch of whining to me. Our former Govenor has the right to grant clemency to whomever he chooses (almost every elected offical does this one their eay ou of office…why is he now the scapegoat?). Where in the law does it say that he or anyone has to let the victim’s family know? No laws were broken. Sounds like someone wants a handout and their thirty seonds of news time. Good Grief!!

6. Johnny says:

I want to sue the State of California’s lawmakers for not enforcing the federal laws on illegal immigration, they cost this State 21.8 Billion dollars a year,,and I cant get the health care I need, enough is enough.everyone here wonders why California is 25 Billion dollars in debt,don’t let them work, and stop renting to them, and they will go home, as simple as that,i am A California native,and, illegal is illegal, I cant break the law, and get away it,were all suffering so the Jerry Brown clown, and his pukes, can get the Mexican vote,is everyone blind it is time for real change.Please wake up California……..

7. tony says:

8. Spud says:

Git a rope, Elvis. We’re going to a hang’n.

9. jakmove says:

The governor had the power to commute reduce or extend the sentence. And the nunez kid was not the killer but got the same time as the killer, kids do stupid things but I think 8 years is long enough for accessory to murder, especially at 200k a year. I think his family should lose everything for raising a failure. But the governor did what he did and it’s over. Get over it and get on. It’s been prefencial treatment since Abraham times

10. James Becker says:

I agree with the family to sue our former Governor. What he did was not justice, it was out of political connections and political connections only.

I hope the family gets everything, but it will never bring back their son.

11. Daniel Schultz says:

Provides a clear picture of the corruption running rampant and unchecked within our political and judicial system. We the people who built this country with our sweat and blood deserve to be treated equally but until we stand for our rights we are doomed.

12. In the doghouse says:

Slime Swarztnegger. Rot in HE double hockey sticks.

13. duh says:

I don’t get how someone can stab another human being to death and then only get 12 yrs in the 1st place?
    Am I wrong?