School Holds Vigil For Murdered Principal
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
PLACERVILLE, Calif. (CBS13) – Members of a mourning school body gathered for a somber vigil in remembrance of the principal who was fatally shot in his office Wednesday morning.
Young students and their parents came to the Louisiana Schnell Elementary campus Wednesday evening to pay their respects to 50-year-old Principal Sam LaCara, an administrator described as a caring mentor and the man who held the school together.
Jennifer Whiteley said LaCara’s character shined through Wednesday morning, just before his death, when she called to talk about her son who was involved in a fight on the playground.
“He always was ready to jump in and help,” Jennifer said. “An hour later he was shot.”
LaCara would always play with the students and recess and made it a point to get to know every child at the school, parents said.
“Sam was the best principal, he was the best person, we’re all very upset,” said one parent. “He loved our kids.”
As was his custom, LaCara was greeting children Wednesday morning as they got out of their cars.
“A loving man to every single child that was here,” another parent said.
Parents may hold another vigil on campus Thursday evening. The Placerville Union School District announced that Louisiana Schnell School, Markham Middle School and Sierra Elementary will be closed Thursday. Classes are scheduled to continue on Friday.