Sacramento School Coach Arrested On Sex Charges
Don't Miss This
- Logic Behind Ferguson Grand Jury’s Decision Not To Indict Police Officer May Remain Mystery
- Man Behind Hidden Cash Craze Announces New Charity Effort Aimed At Fighting Hunger
- Brutal Beating Of Disabled Yuba City Man Likely Was Gang Violence
- Sacramento Police Ready For Protests, But Say Outreach Is Key To Avoid Violence
- Reaction To Ferguson Grand Jury Decision Fanned By Social Media
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A freshman basketball coach has been arrested for molestation and other sex charges, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department.
El Camino High School coach Melvin Flemings, 22, allegedly assaulted one of his freshman players after befriending him over the summer. Flemings is also facing charges of possessing child pornography.
San Juan School District spokesperson Trent Allen said district officials fired Fleming two weeks ago, before the Sheriff’s Department launched their investigation.
The accusations come just five years after a similar situation at the same school: Junior varsity basketball coach Kevin Coe was found guilty of molesting a minor after begging one of his players to have sex with him.
District officials perform background checks on all employees, but Flemings did not have a criminal record.
Sheriff’s investigators said they are looking into the possibility that other victims have not come forward yet.
Flemings is being held on $50,000 bail. His next court date is scheduled for Tuesday afternoon.