Bambi: Diamond Edition (on Blu-ray 3/1/11)
In Disney’s spectacularly animated forest fable, a fawn named Bambi is born, destined to become “Prince of the Forest.” He soon befriends other woodland creatures such as Flower, a bashful skunk, and Thumper, an outgoing rabbit. As the years pass, they encounter a number of life’s lessons in the woods, including the death of Bambi’s mother at the hands of hunters. Eventually, Bambi comes of age, completing the cycle of life and taking his father’s place.
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has officially announced and detailed the Blu-ray release of Bambi, which as previously reported (see Blu-ray.com, November 5) will come out in a Diamond Edition BD/DVD pack on March 1, 2011. This will be the first Disney BD with the new “Second Screen” technology, which according to the studio “will further transform the at-home movie watching experience by empowering viewers with the ability to engage with film content on multiple media platforms and bring them to life in their own hands at the touch of a button.”
By simply downloading the new Disney Second Screen App onto an internet-connected computer or iPad and synching it to the movie, consumers will instantly be able to dive deeper into the film by engaging with fun interactive elements like animated flipbooks, galleries, photos, trivia and more.
Complete special features include:
- Inside Walt’s Story Meetings-Enhanced Edition (new): A multi-tiered, interactive story-telling experience. Go back in time with dramatic voice re-enactments of the moments with Walt that led to the creation of this classic film.
- Two never-before-seen deleted scenes (new)
- Deleted song: “Twitterpated” (new)
- Blu-ray Galleries (new)
- Disney’s Big Book of Knowledge: Bambi Edition (new)— An interactive educational gaming experience that uses the film as a learning tool. Players can customize their own Big Book of Knowledge and learn all about forest creatures, seasons and more. Each time a player completes a task, they are rewarded with new stickers to decorate their Big Book of Knowledge.
- The Making of ‘Bambi’: A Prince Is Born— A comprehensive look at the making of Bambi covers the story, the characters, the actors, the art design, the music and the history of Walt Disney’s classic film using behind the scenes footage, production stills, animation, artwork and multiple interviews with performers and behind the scenes participants.
- Tricks of the Trade (excerpt)— In an episode from the 1957 Disneyland TV show, Walt narrates the story of the multiplane camera, an animation innovation crucial to the production of Bambi.
- Inside the Disney Archives— Disney Supervising Animator Andreas Deja guides viewers through Disney’s Animation Research Library, where artwork from past Disney animated feature films is stored, including early story sketches of Bobo the rabbit,” (who became Thumper), glass paintings made for the multiplane camera and more.
- The Old Mill— Winner of the 1937 Academy Award for Best Short Subject/Cartoon, The Old Mill was a testing ground for several techniques critical to Walt’s artistic vision for Bambi, including the multiplane camera, animating realistic animals and experimenting with such natural occurrences such as wind, rain and lightning.
- DisneyPedia: Bambi’s Forest Friends