3 Arrested For 2009 Acampo Murder
ACAMPO, Calif. (CBS13) — The investigation into the fatal ambush shooting of a woman in 2009 has led to the arrest of three suspects, all of whom turned out to be friends of the victim’s family.
The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Department said 23-year-old Stockton resident Alfonze Fitzhugh, 26-year-old Lodi resident Carlos Hernandez and 20-year-old Stockton resident Robert Antonio Barnes were indicted by a grand jury for the murder of Britani Coberly and the shooting of Evan Karoway on November 18, 2009.
Authorities said Coberly and Karoway were shot by gunmen lying in wait when they returned home from a fast food restaurant late at night near Highway 99.
Karoway was wounded in the first volley of gunfire and tried to run with Coberly to safety, but a second round of shooting fatally wounded the 20-year-old woman.
“I did what little I knew of CPR and she let out her last gasp of air, and that was it,” Karoway said in a 2009 interview. “My world has been turned upside down.”
The arrest of the three suspects rocked Coberly’s family, who said the suspects attended her candlelight vigils and even came to her funeral.
“It just takes a lot of guts to show up to something like that,” said Donna Hovater, Britani’s aunt.
Fitzugh continued to reach out to the family until just before his arrest, even requesting to become Facebook friends with Hovater last week.
Family members suspect Britani was not the original target, but can’t imagine why the alleged culprits would target Karoway.
“There’s no reason for it, there’s never been a reason for it,” said Angie Coberly, Britani’s mother.
All three suspects are facing numerous charges that include murder, attempted murder and conspiracy.