Rio Linda Man Arrested For Killing Alleged Burglar
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
RIO LINDA, Calif. (CBS13) — A homeowner was arrested Sunday afternoon after allegedly killing a man who he believed had robbed his home, authorities said.
The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department said 29-year-old Steven Zinda fatally wounded a man after chasing him away from his home on the 7200 block of 2nd Street just after 4:30 a.m.
Zinda called authorities and led deputies to the wounded man, who was pronounced dead at the scene due to trauma to his head and upper body.
In statements to investigators, Zinda said he returned home early Sunday morning and saw someone running away from his home. A short time later, Zinda said he spotted a male subject near his home and confronted him with a weapon.
The man ran away, and Zinda chased him to a field nearly a quarter mile away and attacked him with the weapon, killing him, authorities said. Investigators recovered the suspected weapon in the attack.
The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department said detectives haven’t found any link between the victim and the burglary. It’s likely, although not conclusive, that Zinda killed the man because he mistakenly believed he was involved in the earlier crime.
Zinda was arrested on murder charges and is being held without bail.
The nature of the weapon recovered at the scene has not been released. The identity of the victim has not been released.
Anyone with information on the crime is asked to contact the Sheriff’s department at (916) 874-5115.