NEW YORK (CBS13/AP) – Another surprise announcement out of New York this morning about the possible move of the Sacramento Kings.
The NBA has granted the owners of the Sacramento Kings an extension until May 2 to file paperwork requesting a relocation to Anaheim.
Joe and Gavin Maloof were supposed to submit the documents by Monday, but the league’s owners decided to delay that after hearing from Anaheim and Sacramento officials during their two days of meetings that ended Friday.
Commissioner David Stern said the league wanted to “do a little bit more fact finding” after Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson told owners Thursday of additional revenue that had been identified, of the city’s commitment to build a new arena, and revealed an interested potential buyer in Pittsburgh Penguins co-owner Ron Burkle.
WATCH: Are Ron Burkle and Chris Webber Teaming Up To Keep The Kings In Sac?”
However, the Maloofs insist they won’te sell and and said “Ron Burkle can go back where he came from”.
Commissioner Stern says the idea of a sale is “not a high priority on our agenda.”