UoP Defends Sexual Assault Investigation After ’60 Minutes’ Story
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
STOCKTON, Calif. (CBS13) – University officials defended their handling of an alleged sexual assault of a University of the Pacific basketball player three years ago after ’60 Minutes’ investigated the fallout of the case.
Students and faculty attended a special meeting administrators arranged after the story of Beckett Brennan aired Sunday night.
Brennan said she was raped by three male basketball players after a night of partying while she was a freshman. Because Beckett didn’t press criminal charges, the case ended up in the hands of a university judicial review board.
The three suspects were all found guilty but received different punishments. One player was expelled, another was suspended for a year, and the third was suspended for a semester.
Judicial board members Lou Matz and Lisa Cooper said they couldn’t reveal details of the attack or investigation, but said the punishments fit the crime according to the evidence they had at the time.
“There were contradictory views between the complainants and respondents, and no one was in the room but them,” Matz said.
UoP student and sexual assault victim Monique Jones, who attended Monday’s meeting, said she hopes administrators hand out stiffer punishment for attackers in the future, especially student athletes.
“It does seem like a slap on the wrist,” she said.
University officials defended their handling of an alleged sexual assault of a University of the Pacific basketball player three years ago after ’60 Minutes’ investigated the fallout of the case.