Sacramento Getting Ready For Big NBA Visit
Don't Miss This
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
- Folsom District’s Response To Seventh-Grader’s Suicide Drawing Heavy Scrutiny
SACRMENTO (CBS13) – Sacramento is one day away from “judgement day” as the NBA’s relocation committee arrives to determine if the Capitol City should keep an NBA team.
Last week, the NBA extended the filing deadline for the Maloof family to request to move the Kings from Sacramento to Anaheim by two weeks.
Today, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson is meeting with officials from around the region to prepare for the NBA visit and present a united front.
He is updating them on the city’s progress and get their input on the next steps to be taken.
In a letter to supporters, the mayor compared the next two days to the NBA playoffs, saying we’re competing against everyone who thinks Sacramento can’t support an NBA team.
With his number one goal being to keep the Kings and the Maloofs.
Last week in New York, Mayor Johnson presented an alternative plan that involves California billionaire Ron Burkle buying another NBA franchise and moving it here.
The mayor says Sacramento has come up with $7 million in sponsorship and suite sales.
The owners of the Thunder Valley Casino are also making a one million dollar donation.
Executives from the “United Auburn Indian Community”, which owns the casino, will meet with NBA officials on Thursday.
A spokesman says they’ve always supported the Kings with a luxury box at the arena but now they’re making a much larger investment.