Anaheim, Samueli Sweeten Deal For Maloofs
Don't Miss This
- Woman Walking With 2-Year-Old Son Hit, Killed By Man Driving Drunk
- Citrus Heights Gaming Hall Actually Slashes Crime In Surrounding Area
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Anaheim city leaders have upped the ante to get the kings to move down to Southern California. Honda Center owner Henry Samueli is promising a personal loan to the Maloofs and a better TV deal than was previously offered.
Just three days away from the NBA relocation filing deadline and the Maloofs’ minds are made up. They still want to move the team from Power Balance Pavilion to Honda Center in Anaheim, but the move could be complicated.
In a conference call with the NBA Relocation Committee on Wednesday, the Maloofs confirmed that they won’t go back to Sacramento, according to The Orange County Register. This was confirmed by our CBS Radio partners at KHTK 1140.
New numbers unveiled Thursday say the Maloofs would get a $75 million personal loan from businessman Henry Samueli, replacing the bond deal by the city of Ahaheim, which is currently being challenged. The Honda center would get $70 million in upgrades and the Maloofs would cash in on a 6-year television contract worth at least $24 million per year for six years.
“Well if those numbers are accurate, and I believe they are, I can see why they would want to move down there,” said KTHK Radio host Grant Napier. “I mean, those are pretty ominous numbers and it looks like a very good deal for them.”
It may sound too good to pass up, but unless they take legal action to force a move, the Maloofs don’t have the support of the NBA. They need a majority “yes” vote from NBA team owners.
“And quite frankly, if the league is not on board with it I don’t know how you would get 16 votes,” said Napier.
We’re also learning that when it comes to basketball in Southern California the relocation committee feels three would be a crowd.
“And if they don’t want a third team in Anaheim then I don’t know how the Kings could possibly move down there,” said Napier.
This article by the Register also points out that Anaheim might be snickering at the $10 million in corporate money lined up here in Sacramento. They say they have more than three times that amount lined up, with lots more money on the way.
The TV deal Comcast is offering the Maloofs to say is being sweetened as well.