Schwarzenegger Reveals He Had Child With Staffer, Maria Is ‘Heartbroken’

LOS ANGELES (CBS13/AP) — Maria Shriver says the revelation that her husband, former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, has acknowledged that he fathered a child with a member of his household staff, is “painful and heartbreaking”.

Schwarzenegger and Shriver jointly announced May 9 that they were splitting up after 25 years of marriage. Yet, Shriver moved out of the family’s Brentwood mansion earlier in the year after Schwarzenegger acknowledged the child is his, The Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

“After leaving the governor’s office I told my wife about this event, which occurred over a decade ago,” Schwarzenegger told the Times in a statement that also was sent to The Associated Press early Tuesday. “I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.

Gallery: Arnold Schwarzenegger And Maria Shriver Separate

“I ask that the media respect my wife and children through this extremely difficult time,” the statement concluded. “While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not.”

Schwarzenegger’s representatives did not comment further.

Maria released a statement a few hours after the reports of the child were first published. “This is a painful and heartbreaking time,” said Shriver, 55. “As a mother, my concern is for the children. I ask for compassion, respect and privacy as my children and I try to rebuild our lives and heal. I will have no further comment.”

While Arnold and Maria may not be making any further comments, their oldest son, 17-year-old Patrick, posted a tweet on his Twitter page today saying “some days you feel like s&*t, some days you want to quit and just be normal for a bit, yet i love my family till death do us apart.”

Entertainment and gossip website TMZ.com reports they heard about the baby five days ago, but could not get the report confirmed through Schwarzenegger’s people.

The Times did not publish the former staffer’s name nor that of her child but said the woman worked for the family for 20 years and retired in January.

Schwarzenegger issued his statement to the Times late Monday, after the newspaper had interviewed the former staffer. She had told the Times that another man — her husband at the time — was the child’s father. When the Times later informed the woman of the governor’s statement, she declined to comment further.

Schwarzenegger later released the statement to The Associated Press and other news organizations.

The child was born before Schwarzenegger began his seven-year stint in public office.

Shriver stood by her husband during his 2003 gubernatorial campaign after the Los Angeles Times reported accusations that he had a history of groping women. Schwarzenegger later said he “behaved badly sometimes.”

In his first public comments since the couple announced their breakup, Schwarzenegger said last week that he and Shriver “both love each other very much.”

“We are very fortunate that we have four extraordinary children and we’re taking one day at a time,” he said at a Los Angeles event marking Israeli independence. Their children range in age from 13 to 21.

Since his term as California governor ended in early January, Schwarzenegger, 63, has hopscotched around the world, his wife nowhere in sight. While the “Terminator” star appeared confident about the future since exiting politics, cutting movie deals and fashioning himself as a global spokesman for green energy, Shriver, known for her confidence, seemed unsettled.

Shriver, 55, maintained her own identity when her husband entered politics, though she gave up her job at NBC. Their union was often tested in Sacramento, where the former action star contended with a rough seven years of legislative gridlock, a budget crisis and lingering questions about his fidelity.

The estranged couple’s initial separation statement referred to “a time of great personal and professional transition for each of us” but gave no hint of what caused the split.

Shriver had also mentioned “transitions” in a Facebook posting earlier this year but gave no details. At the time it seemed most likely to be a reference to the end of her role as California’s first lady. Schwarzenegger had left office in January after seven years as California’s governor. Shriver never moved to Sacramento during that time, but she used her position to run a popular yearly women’s conference that drew high-profile attendees.

Shriver, daughter of Sargent and Eunice Kennedy Shriver, met the former Mr. Universe in 1977 at the Robert F. Kennedy Pro-Celebrity Tennis Tournament in Forest Hills, N.Y.

They married on April 26, 1986, in a white clapboard church in Hyannis, Mass., with many members of the Kennedy clan and celebrities present and a crowd of fans cheering outside. At the time she was an anchor on the “CBS Morning News” and he was filming another movie.

They have four children, Katherine, 21, Christina, 19, Patrick, 17, and Christopher, 13.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Marcoh says:

Beware of who you recall Republicans. You might end up with someone worse.

2. Van says:

“I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.”

The jerk is still not realized that he needs to apologized to every single Californian!

3. nd says:

wonder if the kids were playmates ????

4. TERI says:

GROPING with other parts of the body….idiot

5. Surpirse says:

I knew he was a democrate!!!! Hey Maria , Surprise!! She should be used to it the way the rest of the Kennedy’s were…………….

6. Carrie says:

Finally, he admits he is sorry. We knew that 10 + years ago.

7. M says:

You are d idiot!

8. Ouch, just another Kennedy says:

So, basically, he’s a Kennedy!
    Maria should feel right at home now, all the Kennedy wives can help her through “these difficult” times.
    I guess he was a real “Democrat” after all!

1. OBSERVER4 says:

,…THIS IS A MODERN KENNEDY— WHAT ARE TALKING MARIA $200 MIL…GOOD JOB

9. liberty says:

That is funny, when repubi-c-r-a-p-s do a good job are republicans, when they do something out of the norms they are democrats. Stop ur whinny, stand up for your actions, stop scapegoats democrats or everyone’s else for your mistakes.

10. Retired old Man says:

The jerk is sorry he got caught. He’s been a snake all his life and did the same thing to California that he did to his mistress. He is disgusting and pathetic. Maria was less than :liberated” to put up with him all those years knowing what a fool he is.

11. Julia says:

I’m Sorry for Shwarzanager The same for Maria ! She and others trust to much some ladies who runing down High rank people . To be with name’s. Using the vickedness of a man . She has time in 20 years to seduse a man . No Maria no shwarzanager is A problems . They are a victim to a vicked lady . Who was Using them to be taking care of herself for rest of her life true her child . I would get the child from her and let the lady do go for her life . Not to get what she wanted the man .

12. Kim says:

@ Julia: Vat da F***k you try to say?

13. ROGER JAMISON says:

The most important thing to remember Arnold Schwarzenegger is no longer in office. The other thing is that this is Marie and Arnold’s problem is not for the rest of the world to watch to speculate because a bunch a news people think there’s some type of story here for them to make a dollar off of. Why the hell can’t you people just watch dancing with the stars or some other program to get your jollies. I’m not a big fan of Arnold’s as far as he was governor but I do think that we owe them the privacy of their own family problems. Because a bunch a journalist can find the news story this that makes them any money. If you follow the money you will always find the source of where this type of story always leads readmit tell-all book it’d be out in about six months. In the meantime let these two people work it out they may be able to save their own marriage if the rest of world stays out of their damn business.

1. Mike says:

who do you think called the press, it was him looking for publicity don’t blame everyone else this guy thrives on good or bad publicity. They are not trying to fix anything and as long as he keeps talking the News will be publishing it what a jerk

1. observer 5 says:

thats right mike….as long as his mouthonator moves…so will the public views…
        arnie needs to get home, get family help and get responsible and most of all keep his mouth closed….

2. observer 5 says:

no rog…arnie needs to mind hisssss own business work on his political errors and keep it in his pantsonator…that could work.

14. Mike says:

Anyone who thought this idiot was a good person surely wore blinders after getting rid of Gray Davis things went straight down hill. He’s a liar a cheat and brought a lot of rich people with their hands out to Sacramento. He should be ashamed and his wife should be too, look at how she shamed the Kennedy Shriver name

15. Ashantay says:

Arnold had to be drunk, really drunk, that is one ugly woman……….