Stray Bullet Wounds Stockton Mother
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
STOCKTON, Calif. (CBS13) – A mother who just moved into a Stockton neighborhood was shot while bathing her child last week.
Kelley Scott said she had just finished giving her two-year-old daughter Kayla a bath when she heard a series of gunshots ring out near her apartment on Gateway Court .
When she felt the impact of a bullet in her back, her instincts kicked in and she moved to cover her daughter.
“I just felt the pain, it was burning,” Kelley said. “My sister crawled towards me and I said, ‘Check to see if I’m bleeding.’”
The bullet lost much of its speed traveling through the apartment wall and didn’t cause serious injury.
“It just wasn’t my time. It hit me and then bounced on her bed,” Kelley said. “I’m glad it hit me and not my daughter.”
The single mother said she and her sister just moved to the apartment last week and knew it was a rough neighborhood, but didn’t think random gunfire would be a threat.
No arrests have been made in the incident.