Over 1,200 Guns Seized During Statewide Sweep
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Over 1,200 guns were seized during in a recent statewide sweep by law enforcement agents.
According to state Attorney General Kamala Harris, 1,209 guns were recently taken from those barred from gun possession and from others deemed to be mentally unstable. The sweep lasted for six weeks and resulted in the seizure of three times as many guns as were seized during a similar sweep in 2007.
But that’s just a drop in the bucket compared to the 34,000 handguns guns still in the wrong hands. Harris says Senate Bill 819 would clear the backlog by allowing the state to hire more agents and train law enforcement personnel.
“Seizing guns from felons, gang members and other prohibited persons is the kind of smart, proactive law enforcement that makes a difference in the everyday lives of Californians,” said Harris. “We are all safer thanks to the sworn officers who carried out this sweep and I am committed to strengthening this program.”
In all, 99 agents from the Department of Justice were involved in the sweep that also resulted in the seizure of 155,731 rounds of ammunition and two grenades.