Over 1,200 Guns Seized During Statewide Sweep
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Over 1,200 guns were seized during in a recent statewide sweep by law enforcement agents.
According to state Attorney General Kamala Harris, 1,209 guns were recently taken from those barred from gun possession and from others deemed to be mentally unstable. The sweep lasted for six weeks and resulted in the seizure of three times as many guns as were seized during a similar sweep in 2007.
But that’s just a drop in the bucket compared to the 34,000 handguns guns still in the wrong hands. Harris says Senate Bill 819 would clear the backlog by allowing the state to hire more agents and train law enforcement personnel.
“Seizing guns from felons, gang members and other prohibited persons is the kind of smart, proactive law enforcement that makes a difference in the everyday lives of Californians,” said Harris. “We are all safer thanks to the sworn officers who carried out this sweep and I am committed to strengthening this program.”
In all, 99 agents from the Department of Justice were involved in the sweep that also resulted in the seizure of 155,731 rounds of ammunition and two grenades.