Over 1,200 Guns Seized During Statewide Sweep
Don't Miss This
- Man Rescued From Abandoned Mother Lode Mine
- Man Gets 3-Year Jail Sentence For Torturing Puppy In Front Of Daughter
- Mom, Daughter Record Bear’s Romp Through Auburn Cemetery
- Is This You? Gas Station Surveillance Video Reveals Stockton’s Latest Lottery Millionaire
- California Bans State Agencies From Selling Or Displaying Items With Confederate Flag
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Over 1,200 guns were seized during in a recent statewide sweep by law enforcement agents.
According to state Attorney General Kamala Harris, 1,209 guns were recently taken from those barred from gun possession and from others deemed to be mentally unstable. The sweep lasted for six weeks and resulted in the seizure of three times as many guns as were seized during a similar sweep in 2007.
But that’s just a drop in the bucket compared to the 34,000 handguns guns still in the wrong hands. Harris says Senate Bill 819 would clear the backlog by allowing the state to hire more agents and train law enforcement personnel.
“Seizing guns from felons, gang members and other prohibited persons is the kind of smart, proactive law enforcement that makes a difference in the everyday lives of Californians,” said Harris. “We are all safer thanks to the sworn officers who carried out this sweep and I am committed to strengthening this program.”
In all, 99 agents from the Department of Justice were involved in the sweep that also resulted in the seizure of 155,731 rounds of ammunition and two grenades.