Nurse: Folsom Prison Attack Not A Surprise
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
FOLSOM, Calif. (CBS13) –A woman who worked as a nurse inside Folsom State Prison said the sexual assault of a nurse inside the facility is a symptom of a much larger problem.
Old Folsom Prison has been locked down since a woman was attacked Wednesday afternoon, and investigators have not identified any inmates who may have been responsible for the incident.
An insider who asked not to be identified for fear of retribution said staff is often in danger thanks to “the Folsom Way,” unwritten rules she said often leaves inmates in nurses’ care without officers and denies inmates some medical treatments.
“It was only a matter of time,” she said. “The problem with Old Folsom is not a secret. Everybody knows about it, all the employees talk about it.”
The insider said she her concerns were brushed off when she talked with supervisors. “In fact, you’re kind of labeled a troublemaker,” she said.
Folsom State Prison spokesperson Lt. Paul Baker said the investigation into the assault on the nurse is ongoing and will review the circumstances that led up to the incident.
“We’ll make those determinations and we’ll take action to remedy any problems with procedures and safety protocols,” Baker said.