Woman To Stand Trial For Meth Breast Milk Death
Don't Miss This
- Raw: Driver Records Cellphone Video Of Stockton Shootout
- Get Ready For More Delays As Interstate 80 Project Will Close Lanes Starting Saturday
- Video: Family, Friends Mourn Death Of Woman Taken Hostage By Bank Robbery Suspects
- Video: Man Killed In Bank Heist, Shootout Was Suspect In January Robbery At Same Bank, Say Detectives
- Portia De Rossi Reportedly Filmed Drunken Fights With Ellen
Get Breaking News First
EUREKA, Calif. (AP) – A Humboldt County judge has ordered a woman to stand trial in the death of her newborn son after he drank her methamphetamine-laced breast milk.
Maggie Jean Wortman is charged with involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment.
Deputy District Attorney Ben McLaughlin told the Times-Standard of Eureka that his office is considering whether to upgrade the charge. He says prosecutors may pursue voluntary manslaughter or second-degree murder based on evidence presented during Wednesday’s preliminary hearing.
Authorities say Wortman used meth during her pregnancy and after her children were born and passed on the drug through her breast milk.
Toxicology reports on the body of 6-week-old Michael Acosta III came back positive for meth, and her 19-month-old daughter also tested positive for it.
Wortman’s attorney, M.C. Bruce, did not immediately return a call for comment Thursday.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)