Report Suggests Race May Play Role In Apartment Renting Process

SOLANO COUNTY, Calif. (CBS13) – Two fair housing advocacy groups put several Solano County landlords to the test to see if race plays a roll in who they rent to – and the results show a bias.

The groups used forty callers who sounded white and forty callers who sounded black.

The study found 13 landlords clearly favored white callers while eleven landlords gave slightly favorable treatment to whites.

In all, the study found that more than half of callers who sounded black were either often quoted higher rents, deposits, given less flexible lease terms, weren’t told of move-in specials and sometimes not called back.

Comments

1. Lance Neufeld says:

Makes sense to me. If I was a landlord, I would want to rent to those that would care for my property and not abuse the grounds. Why would I want to invite ghetto trash and families of 20+ to move into my property and destroy it? Stereotypes have a basis in fact.

2. ConcernedCitizen says:

Excuse me? This is BS on so many levels. First, off i’d like a little more explanation of “sounding black” on the phone. Usually if I speak to someone on the phone, unless they have a heavy accent, I can’t judge their race, nor do I care. Are these idiots equating sounding “ghetto” with sounding “black”? Did they say things like “Yeah, boy, I need a pad to distribute out crack, you got a room?”. If they purposely made the person sound “ghetto” then I don’t care who they were, white, black, asain, hispanic or what – I wouldn’t rent them a room.

3. ignorance is unacceptable says:

ConcernedCitizen, you hit the nail on the head. This “TEST” “SOUNDS” like complete BS.

4. Marc Sac says:

So half the callers sounded like they had marbles in their mouth?

5. Tom says:

I’m with what Lance said…