Big Rig And Amtrak Train Collide In Solano County

SOLANO COUNTY (CBS13) — There were major delays after a train slammed into a big rig on the tracks.

The driver of the big rig and passengers on an Amtrak train consider themselves lucky to be alive after the train hit the truck this morning.

“It was the brakes; just went through that truck like butter I guess,” said a passenger.

Aboard the train, Mike Pederson hardly felt the collision that rocked Mark Manley’s truck.

“It jerked me around; well you could see the wreck of that trailer. The rest of the trailer’s on the back still hooked to my truck,” said Manley. “If it would have hit me, I would have been said.”

Mark says that when he stopped at the intersection of Vanden and Canon Roads southeast of Vacaville, the crossing arms were up and no train was in sight.

“I was looking both ways, and when I pulled up someone was honking. When I looked back in my mirror I saw the crossing arm come down behind me. And I looked to the right and I saw the train coming,” said Manley.

With his rear trailer still partially across the tracks, Mark hit the gas, but he couldn’t get out of the way in time. The Amtrak smashed into the big rig splitting the trailer from the truck. The CHP say it’s fortunate the train didn’t derail. It was carrying 290 passengers at the time.

“I don’t have any tickets. I’m a safe driver. I’ve been doing this my whole life,” said Manley.

The damaged train stopped on the tracks a few hundred yards away from impact and passengers were delayed several hours. But, in the wake of last month’s deadly Amtrak-big rig crash in Nevada, there was plenty of relief that this time everyone walked away

Officials with Amtrak say the tracks will have to be inspected to make sure there’s no serious damage before trains are allowed to pass.

The driver of the train suffered minor injuries and Manley complained of minor pain, but no one had to be hospitalized.

1. Mace says:

Another DOPE SMOKING trucker…SMDH

1. David says:

Where is your proof or are you making a false charge?

2. working for a living says:

Mace, did you ever stop to think for even a moment that you might have cut off that truck that hit you, and maybe it was because he knew how to handle all that weight that you are still alive today? I cannot tell you how many times, each freakin day, some clown thinks that just because his car fits into that space in front of my truck he is safe to put it there when traffic is slowing down or stopping. Trucks NEED that space to get all that momentum to reduce it’s speed in that path of travel. Perhaps you could just chill a bit before running your mouth or tossing your spiteful opinions.

1. Mace says:

I’m sorry. I just get so darn irritable when I wet my pants and my butt starts itching.

2. David says:

Trains do not come off the track and chase down cars/trucks, the truck had to be in its way and this article suggest there is doubt about fault?

1. Marcoh says:

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

3. trozzy says:

Maybe we could at least wait untill we know, if the crossing arms, were working correctly?

4. Marcoh says:

Dumb F**k truck driver again.