Police Identify Suspect Who Allegedly Shot At Officer
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SOUTH SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Police have identified a man who shot at aSacramento police officer on Tuesday inSouth Sacramento, according to Sacramento Police.
Police say 20-year-old Devonte Fields is a validated gang member and is on felony probation.
The incident began at 3:02 p.m. when an officer tried to make contact with the suspect in the area of 6633 Valley Hi Drive. He fit the description of an armed robbery suspect from earlier this week, according to Sacramento Police. The suspect ran off, and when the officer gave chase, the suspect allegedly shot at him.
Dozens of police officers searched the area around the shooting while a perimeter was set up around the California Place apartment complex where the suspect was believed to be hiding.
SWAT officers entered the complex, and at around 6:20 p.m., arrested Fields as he left one of the apartment units. He was found along with another man and two children. Officers also found a gun that they believe is the one Fields used to shoot at the officers.
Fields was arrested for attempted murder and booked into the Sacramento County Jail.
It turns out Fields was not the robbery suspect originally sought by the officer.