Police Identify Suspect Who Allegedly Shot At Officer
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
SOUTH SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Police have identified a man who shot at aSacramento police officer on Tuesday inSouth Sacramento, according to Sacramento Police.
Police say 20-year-old Devonte Fields is a validated gang member and is on felony probation.
The incident began at 3:02 p.m. when an officer tried to make contact with the suspect in the area of 6633 Valley Hi Drive. He fit the description of an armed robbery suspect from earlier this week, according to Sacramento Police. The suspect ran off, and when the officer gave chase, the suspect allegedly shot at him.
Dozens of police officers searched the area around the shooting while a perimeter was set up around the California Place apartment complex where the suspect was believed to be hiding.
SWAT officers entered the complex, and at around 6:20 p.m., arrested Fields as he left one of the apartment units. He was found along with another man and two children. Officers also found a gun that they believe is the one Fields used to shoot at the officers.
Fields was arrested for attempted murder and booked into the Sacramento County Jail.
It turns out Fields was not the robbery suspect originally sought by the officer.