California Bill Seeks Statewide Rules On Circumcision
CBS Sacramento (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSSacramento.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSSacramento.com/Health
Don't Miss This
- Sketch Released Of Suspect Wanted For 2 Stabbings Near Downtown Sacramento
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
- Davis Police MRAP Just One Of Hundreds Of Items Acquired From Military Surplus In Yolo County
- East Porterville Residents Without Water As Wells Go Dry During California Drought
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California lawmakers will consider whether local jurisdictions have the right to ban male circumcision or whether the practice should be covered by statewide rules.
The debate set for Tuesday evolved from a divisive measure in San Francisco that was removed from the ballot by a judge.
The legislation comes against a national backdrop of efforts to limit male circumcision, which critics say is an unnecessary surgery to a healthy and defenseless child.
Assemblyman Mike Gatto, a Los Angeles Democrat, says statewide rules are needed to protect the valuable medical procedure that also is an important religious ritual for Jews and Muslims.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)