California Bill Seeks Statewide Rules On Circumcision
CBS Sacramento (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSSacramento.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSSacramento.com/Health
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California lawmakers will consider whether local jurisdictions have the right to ban male circumcision or whether the practice should be covered by statewide rules.
The debate set for Tuesday evolved from a divisive measure in San Francisco that was removed from the ballot by a judge.
The legislation comes against a national backdrop of efforts to limit male circumcision, which critics say is an unnecessary surgery to a healthy and defenseless child.
Assemblyman Mike Gatto, a Los Angeles Democrat, says statewide rules are needed to protect the valuable medical procedure that also is an important religious ritual for Jews and Muslims.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)