Three People Critically Hurt In North Highlands Crash

NORTH HIGHLANDS (CBS13) – An early morning crash Tuesday on Elkhorn Boulevard left three people in critical condition, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The crash happened just after 7 a.m. at Elkhorn Boulevard and Sprig Drive. A Jeep drove through the intersection and slammed into the side of a green Mitsubishi sedan.

Off-duty Sac Metro Battalion Chief Jeff Metzinger was first on the scene and found three people unresponsive and trapped inside the car.

“I was heading home and came upon this accident,” said Metzinger. “So I got out and saw what I had, so I got on the phone and started calling for help.”

Emergency crews had to rip the doors off the green sedan to rescue the three critically injured people inside.

Tashelle Miller, a senior at Highlands High School, says heard a loud bang as she got off the bus. She ran up to the intersection and saw the Mitsubishi sedan skid up against the wall and saw two people standing outside the Jeep.

“I saw a girl on the ground shaking and crying and I asked here ‘what’s wrong?’ and she didn’t say anything to me,” said Miller. “There was a boy standing right next to her and he didn’t say anything or acknowledge me.”

A CHP officer says the 17-year-old driver of the Jeep and his 16-year-old passenger are students at Del Campo High and were probably on their way to school at the time.

A 22-year-old woman was driving the green sedan. She had two teenagers in the car with her. Investigators found backpacks in the car and believe two of the injured are students.

“To see my friends or my classmates in that car…I couldn’t believe it and I broke down crying,” said Miller. “And I stood by the car behind the wall saying ‘Are you OK? Are you OK? Can you hear me? Can you see me?’”

The Jeep’s driver says he was blinded by the early morning sun heading west on Elkhorn Boulevard at Sprig Drive, says the CHP.

“He wasn’t really quite sure,” said CHP Officer Liz Dutton. “He had sunglasses on. He said he doesn’t normally wear sunglasses. This is the first time he had the sunglasses on. After he went through the intersection, I think he possible realized it was red.”

The driver told the CHP he entered the intersection following the car in front of him not knowing, not being able to see if the light was red because of the glare.

According to witnesses, the light was red.

Comments

1. Mace says:

Texting, up late last nite, not paying attention to detail…Driving is a privilege and not a necessity. GROW up, and be responsible for your actions on the road.

2. cmore says:

That is why you drive very slow when the sun is in your eyes. However I find that a lame excuse. Speeding sounds more like it or trying to run the light. Hope the people in the green car will be ok.

3. James says:

KIDS! staying up all night chatting on line, playing games online or doing homework (maybe) and not getting enough sleep……..then, in the morning on the way to school, texting, browsing, & talking on the cellphone! BAD BAD BAD combination….too bad THEY DON’T LISTEN TO US!

4. Mreros says:

Blinded by the sun..yeah, sure..especially if he was travelling WEST.

1. Corey says:

Heading to Del Campo from that intersection, they would be driving East, into the sun. learn2geography

1. knowit says:

Corey…good point on the correct direction!! Perhaps he was busy admiring himself in the mirror with those “stunner shades” he isn’t use to wearing?

5. rick says:

People don’t understand consequences of their actions until someone is hurt. By then, it is all too late, lives will be change forever. A few nights ago, this kid cut in front of me so I high beam him, he got behind me and high beam me back then sped up and swerved into another car forcing it to change lane. Selfish people are irresponsible. Always find excuses but never admitting that it is their fault.

1. James says:

sounds like he was just a punk from the behavior you are describing….but if you talk to his parents, I bet they will say “HE’S A GOOD KID”, “HE WOULD NEVER DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT”….HA!

1. rick says:

Agree! just like how when you hear from the family that their kid was a good kid, never been in trouble, really bright, then the police report comes out indicating that the kid is a gang banger.

6. Amanda says:

I don’t think this is appropriate to say at all. I live in that area, and the direction he was traveling the sun is VERY blinding. Don’t leave comments like this. It’s very disturbing for the families to have to read. VERY INCONSIDERATE. Get a life.

1. Jesse Snow says:

@Amanda – Just look at his Name, that says it all.

1. Amanda says:

@ jesse – Are you really that stupid? Is that all you can say?

7. e says:

lets not forget hthe teen was driving illegally under 18 driving with aother teen is a crime..

1. cmore says:

e, you are so right. He wasn’t supposed to have an underage passenger with him. Well lets see what happens when his insurance company gets hold of this. If, he has insurance. Hope his parents are responsible and don’t feel their child is being picked on and let him know that what he did was wrong and he may be paying for this for a very long time. I hope law enforcement and the courts throw the book at him. There are way too many people out their driving that shouldn’t be and he is one.

8. Trypoler says:

I can’t help but wonder how the rest of us manage not to run red lights when the sun gets in our eyes

9. tom says:

Del Campo students in North Highlands after 7:00 am? Running late for school out of district? Or scoring drugs? No bueno!

10. Jesse Snow says:

Hmmm!, 17 with a 16 year old in the car and runs a red light. Hope the people he hit are going to be OK, damn shame. As for the kid, well, good luck ever getting insurance again. Hope his parents are well heeled because the tab for this is going to be a doozy! after fines, court fees, paperwork fees, and a possible civil lawsuit from the injured people. Just one question, if he was following a car through the intersection so closely that he could not see the signal (read tailgating) then how did he manage to broadside a sedan??

11. Oleg says:

The victims inside the green car: An 18-year old Highlands High School graduate, a 14-year old Highlands Highschool freshmen, and the 22-year old driver was their sister. The 18-year old is unconsious with massive brain damage and broken ribs on both sides. The 14-year old has a broken arm. The 22-year old has broken ribs and a shoulder.

1. Oleg says:

Correction: The 18-year old is a male, not a female. My fault for not clarfying that. The 22 and 14-years olds were females. I’m sorry.

12. Cindy Latscha Cravens says:

WOW! Really people?! I can’t believe they actually allow comments like these to be left on here! You all just automatically judge people you know nothing about, you automatically assume that because it was a teenager driving the jeep that it was because he was up all nitght, or he was texting, or he was on drugs! As for the 16 year old passenger, she was his sister! Thye live in the same home and they weren’t out partying! They were going to school! Wake up people and have some respect. Furthermore, if your going to leave comments like these, at least know what your talking about before doing so! Better yet, try praying for BOTH the people in the car that were injured AND those in the jeep. God forbid any of you are ever judge because of an accident! And God forbid a judge throwing the book at any of you for something in the future! Karma is a strong thing…remember that when judging others!

1. Cindy Latscha Cravens says:

and God fobid you ever have an accident! Those just don’t happen do they. Try praying for the people in BOTH vehicles rather than judging one you know nothing about!

13. Meems says:

Learn the laws people… If he was 17 he can have minors in the care as long as he has had his license for 12 months or more, and if the passenger was his sibling and he was taking her to school it IS also legal.

To be here assuming he was up all night, and saying he was on drugs when you know ZERO obviously is callous and irresponsible and childish. Grow up and just pray for the injured. Accidents do happen, I’m sure if he could take it all back he would. It wasn’t done intentionally.

14. Trypoler says:

Cindy Latscha Cravens
    YOU GOT SOME NERVE TALKING KARMA TO US. THE 18 YEAR OLD GIRL IN THE GREEN CAR IS BRAIN DEAD AND YOUR BOY WHO WAS DRIVING ILEGAL WITH AN UNDERAGE PASSENGER WHO RAN A RED LIGHT MADE HER THAT WAY. AND YOU KNOW DAMN WELL THAT SUN SHINES DOWN THAT STREET THE SAME WAY EVERYDAY WITH THOUSANDS OF DRIVERS HAVING NO PROBLUM SEEING THE RED LIGHT

1. Paul says:

The driver is 22 year old Yana Litvinov. She has five broken ribs . The eighteen year old boy is Eddie Litvinov. He is under critical condition and is suffering brain trauma aand his chest is completely smashed. The youngest passenger was 14-15? year old Karina Litvinov. She has a broken jaw and collar bone. Eddie graduated this year and was elected Scotsman of the Year in Highlands Highschool. He was a role model as well as captain of both the cross country team and basketball team. Pray for him; he is undergoing surgery tommorrow..

1. Trypoler says:

Yes I will

15. Tired of the BS says:

Fact; 17 year old boy RAN A RED LIGHT and T-boned a car.
    Fact; 18 year old girl is BRAIN DEAD because of it

1. Paul says:

16. Knowit says:

I live in the area high school kids are stupid drivers! I have seen them go around corners on two tires all bug eyed with excitement…I have seen them driving their little brothers and sisters to school with the kids hanging halfway out of the windows not knowing the danger they are in…running a red light IS NOT an accident it IS stupidity!!

17. Paul says:

1. Curt says:

I just found out that Eddie plays basketball with my son at American River. I am so saddened by such a preventable accident. This makes me shudder for all teens on the road as well as those of us who have to drive while they are on the road. I agreed with Paul, pray for a full recovery for all of them.

18. Experience says:

It is possible that nothing will happen to the driver, court wise. My sibling was involved in an accident last year around this time and they were under aged, and only had had their licence for 2 months I believe and they got T boned by a motorcyclist when they were making a left turn. My sibling also had a passenger in the car who was also under aged and the only thing that happened to my sibling was the insurance claim. They didn’t even have the pay a fine through the county for their tickets because the tickets were never put into the system and after a year its like it never happened. They have no points on their record, licence is fully intact. I know I have worked hard to not have anything on my drivers record, yet they get to have a major accident where the car and motorcycled were totaled, and they get the same benefits as I do, the only difference is I have 3 years of driving experience and they have only the one. It is infuriating that nothing was done to them, so hopefully something is done legally to the driver that ran the red light. My prayers do go out to both families though.

19. RON says:

I AM ASHAMMED OF ALL OF YOU, JUDGING PEOPLE FROM BEHIND A COMPUTER SCREEN, NOT ALL KIDS OR ADULTS ARE GOOD OR BAD DRIVERS, IT TAKES ALL KINDS

RON

20. Michele says:

Why are you all automatically judging? Like any of you have never ran a red light. Like you all have nothing ahead of you that you don’t know about? At this point who cares whose fault it was, or how “dumb” the 17 year old was, or how lame the “excuse” was. All of the passengers of both cars are hurt! One male is on the verge of death, because of the ACCIDENT. All there is left to do is pray for Eddie so that God can make His will to give Eddie another chance at life. Also pray for the other injured passengers so they can heal quickly and for the emotionally hurt friends and family!

MANY people run red lights with out even noticing it. It’s not like this 17 year old boy got his sister and decided “Hey! Let’s go T-Bone a car and get a kid brain dead.” Get over yourselves and instead of judging, say a prayer for these poor, hurt souls.