Highway 99 Clogged In Elk Grove After Accident
Don't Miss This
- Man Rescued From Abandoned Mother Lode Mine
- Man Gets 3-Year Jail Sentence For Torturing Puppy In Front Of Daughter
- Mom, Daughter Record Bear’s Romp Through Auburn Cemetery
- Is This You? Gas Station Surveillance Video Reveals Stockton’s Latest Lottery Millionaire
- California Bans State Agencies From Selling Or Displaying Items With Confederate Flag
Get Breaking News First
ELK GROVE (CBS13) – Two big rigs and two other vehicles, including a Caltrans truck, crashed in a chain-reaction accident on northbound Highway 99 in Elk Grove on Thursday morning.
The accident happened just before 8:50 a.m. on Highway 99 at Elk Grove Boulevard after a big rig slammed on its brakes to avoid slowed traffic but hit the Caltrans truck. That triggered a chain reaction in which the truck hit a Scion, which banged into another big rig.
All northbound lanes were blocked for nearly two hours. The first lane was reopened at about 10:40 and the Nos. 2 and 3 lanes were reopened shortly before noon.
No one was seriously hurt in the accident, but one of the big rigs dumped its load, a sticky substances used for pretreatment before laying asphalt, according to CHP Michael Bradley, who said “it’s like glue.”
Traffic was backed up for miles as CHP diverted northbound traffic off the highway at Elk Grove Boulevard.
The Caltrans truck, a Ford F-150, sustained heavy rear-end damage.