Occupy Sacramento Plans Rally At City Hall Again
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Occupy Sacramento protesters will march back to City Hall tonight at 5 p.m. in their continued effort to be allowed to camp overnight at Cesar Chavez Park, organizers said.
The group will be at the 5 p.m. council meeting and its request to assemble 24 hours a day is on the council agenda, organizers said.
So far, 58 arrests have been made by Sacramento police since Oct. 6 at the park, organizers said. Occupy Sacramento argues it hsas First Amendment right to remain in the public park and assemble peacefully. Most were arrested for unlawful assembly.
Noted war protester Cindy Sheehan was arrested Sunday when 19 people were arrested. She said she plans to return tonight to see if the city would make accommodations for Occupy Sacramento.
Occupy Sacramento argues the city is wasting valuable resources by spending thousands of dollars arresting nonviolent demonstrators. Sunday, Sacramento police used at least 40 police vehicles and 65 officers to arrest 19 people, organizers said.
Among those arrested were a man in a wheelchair and another who had to be hospitalized, organizers said.