Man Slain Near ‘Occupy Oakland’ Was Resident
Don't Miss This
- Man Accused Of Stabbing Sacramento Woman To Death Arrested
- Old Sacramento’s Gold Rush Days Panned Because Of Drought
- Colusa Husband And Wife Arrested For Allegedly Kidnapping Teen Who Made Their Child Cry
- Dolls Lefts On Doorsteps Were Meant To Spread Cheer Not Chill
- 5 Women Who Have Been Killin’ It This Summer
Get Breaking News First
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — Police say the man slain last week near the anti-Wall Street protest encampment at an Oakland plaza had been staying there.
Thursday’s shooting prompted Oakland officials to step up their calls for the camp to be abandoned, though demonstrators had maintained that there was no connection between the shooting and the camp
Police officer Johnna Watson said Sunday night that the victim has been identified as 25-year-old Kayode Ola Foster of Oakland. She says family members confirmed he had been staying there.
Watson says witnesses have told police that one of two suspects in the shooting had also been a frequent resident at the plaza. The suspects’ names weren’t released.
Oakland Mayor Jean Quan cited “the increased violence associated with the camp” in a statement she issued Sunday urging demonstrators to leave.
Police officials suspect that the shooting resulted from a fight between two groups of men at or near the camp.
(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press)