Intense ‘Twilight’ Scene Triggers Seizure Reports

ROSEVILLE (CBS13) — A local man says the latest movie in the popular ‘Twilight’ franchise triggered a seizure, and similar incidents have been reported in theaters around the country.

Brandon Gephart and Kelly Bauman said they were watching “Breaking Dawn: Part One” at a theater Friday night when Brandon sudden began convulsing during a graphic birthing scene.

Brandon said he doesn’t remember anything until he woke up on the theater floor, but Kelly said he was, “convulsing, snorting, trying to breathe.”

“He scared me big time,” she added. Paramedics transported the man to the emergency room and the theater had to cancel the rest of the movie for that showing.

Several reports on internet movie sites show reports of other people suffering similar symptoms during the same scene, which contains flashes of red, black and white. Dr. Michael G. Chez, the medical director of pediatric neurology and epilepsy for Sutter Sacramento, said the reports indicate the scene may be triggering an episode of photosensitive epilepsy.

While rare, the condition can be triggered by flashing red lights in people who are genetically predisposed.

“It’s like a light switch going off, because it hits your brain all at once,” Dr. Chez said.

Similar reports resulted after a 1990s episode of the television show Pokémon, which triggered seizures in children. Manufacturers have revamped modern television and video games so screens don’t project the dangerous light frequency, Dr. Chez said.

“The trouble with theaters, it’s dark, the lights flashing in there is more like a strobe light,” he added.

A single seizure should not cause long-term damage to most patients, Dr. Chez said. Wearing sunglasses with cheap blue lenses can filter the red light for moviegoers who want to be on the safe side.

Brandon is being checked out by a specialist. Kelly said Brandon has fulfilled his duty as a boyfriend and won’t need to see any more “Twilight” movies with her.

1. Annie says:

My 13 year old was one of them. She’s fine.

1. Margaret says:

Sorry for you!

2. James says:

Glad she’s fine… but what does this say about you glomming onto a news story to be a ‘me too’…post? Please tell me Munchhausen doesn’t run in your family.

1. Pensieve says:

James – please tell me dementia doesn’t run in yours.

2. mondo says:

you’re an idot James. I think many of us would like to see comments of any who witnessed others having seizures. It took me 4 pages reading idiotic comments like yours to finally found one and sure enough there’s a zombie sheep like you that is unable to comprehend logic.

The CIA has studied this technology for 65 yrs. They mastered it in the 1950’s. Ever heard of MK Ultra? Maybe it’;s you that should learn something instead of trolling around all the garbage celeb news you usually do. you have no room to criticize. “Annie” was the 1st to comment about her 13 yr old passing out. You don’t find that relevant? You’ll find the real news in comments. The TV talking heads are paid to lie and cover it up. idiot,.

3. John says:

Glad she’s OK. But keep in mind it was probably done on purpose.

1. C says:

Uh John, you can’t have a seizure on purpose.

2. ml JK says:

What is a man doing watching this movie?

1. carlb says:

hey i took my daughter to these horrible movies. why because i love her and would do anything for her. but i have to say it was hard. the second one i fell asleep and she had to poke me because i snored. but the latest was not that bad and the same director will do the last. then my job is done to be replaced with something else. love makes you do crazy things. i even read all four books for her.

1. not me says:

You don’t have a life

2. James says:

Some men- maybe not like you (or your man if you are female) are secure in their manhood and don’t care what others think. It’s nice to be able to watch a movie or listen to music when you don’t care what others think of you for doing it.

3. not a fan says:

Maybe he went with a hot chic and that was why he was there? That’s my best guess. I can’t imagine a guy would want to look at that freakish werewolf guy or that ugly chick that plays the main character.

4. susan says:

Please come into this century.

1. no metrosexuals says:

Susan likes girly men who will watch chick flicks with her…

5. John says:

hahahahhahahhaha outstanding!

6. Delphinus13 says:

Trying to make the girlfriend happy. Hopefully, later she’ll return the favor.

3. Matthew says:

Lucky guy, got spared finishing the movie.

4. patriot says:

Pray that in ’12 the American electorate doesn’t repeat the seizure of stupidity they had i n ’08 which put Obama in office.

1. Dean says:

how did you turn an article about epileptic seizures and twilight into a political commentary on Obama?

I don’t like obama as much as the next person but really? on an article about twilight?

1. BIllshee says:

The whole Twilight Sage was obviously Bush’s fault.

2. Hitokiri Craig says:

They have “Twilight Sage?” My grandfather could have used that in his stuffing yesterday.

3. Matt Phinish says:

Yeah, and Joe Paterno knew about it.

4. CT says:

Actually, it reflects the level of STUPIDITY amongst the Obama haters. Then again, it’s not surprising that the Obama-haters would read a story about a movie aimed at kids in their teens.

2. not me says:

I am doing some serious praying about this

3. JustAGuy says:

Relax Dean, it was a good post. Besides, heard that the Russian Anchorwoman who gave Obama the finger got fired.

Probably because it’s in Russia’s best interest if Obama is re-elected. But it is NOT in America’s best interest if Obama is re-elected.

5. VampiresSuck says:

Are we sure it isn’t just a stupid attack from watching such lousy Hollyweird garbage? Kind of like the body rejecting a foreign object…..

6. Steve Hunt says:

50,000 die of epilepsy related causes in America per year. Thats 10k more than breast cancer. But breast cancer gets a majority of the funding and awareness. Typical America — everything is a zero sum game, and boobs of course win over brains. If you asked me, its just sickening.
    When you think about it in context the Twilight series is brilliant! They want the cool kids to be Twilight fans, so they are weeding out the nerdy epileptic freak kids….BRILLIANT!!! And a great time to do this — epilepsy awareness month!!

7. Drs1969 says:

My cousin once fell off the porch onto his head while having an epileptic seizure. I still don’t know how he didn’t break his neck! Lawsuit time.

1. bob m says:

Lawsuit? Against whom? and for WHAT? This propensity for law suits is what has ruined this country. And worse than people who sue over nothing are juries that AWARD for nothing.

1. Vivienne27 says:

Losers have to have to win the lottery somehow – no?

8. Knightflyer says:

L,MAO,,,I can just see the lawyers lining up right now.I repeat what someone commented about earlier.What kind of man goes to see that Twilight garbage anyways.

1. BIllshee says:

A man who loves his woman enough to sacrifice some of HIS time for HER!

9. Nathan says:

He didn’t have a seizure, he just suddenly realized he was watching a Twilight movie.

I’d have fell convulsing to the floor foaming at the mouth had I been forced to watch that movie also.

10. diane says:

And if you love your kid you wouldn’t let them fill their head with satanic garbage like this. Love doesn’t mean you do whatever they want, it means you are the parent and you make the responsible and right choices for your child even when it makes you unpopular.

1. Patrick says:

satanic….lol, welcome to the 2000’s sweetheart. You can even dance and play card games now a days too!

2. jj-vo says:

Satanic garbage – REALLY? You are the weirdo to even think that. Satan is lurking everywhere!! Is that your motto? Do you wear it on a pin? Please do, so you can be identified and avoided at all costs.

11. g says:

They would have a seizure if they smelled one of my farts.

12. davec says:

close one eye.

13. RD says:

That’s what you get for being a pantywaist and not saying “NO” and allowing yourself to be dragged to something you have little interest in…

And no, I would NEVER ask my Significant Other to do something I know they would hate.

1. Don't waste your money says:

So I guess that pretty much means you’re a virgin then,

1. susan says:

I hate to laugh at this but it’s so funny.

14. Serves 'em right says:

If this happened everytime someone watched trash passing itself off as a movie, maybe Hollywood would start making more quality films. Oh wait, I snapped out of my delusion, Hollywood would make more of the same.

15. susan says:

I remember a segment on Science Fiction Theater probably in 1955 where a guy had a seizure from unknown causes and they finally found it was from driving by rows of trees in the country; the intermitent light as he passed them was flickering at a rate that triggered the seizure in this particular individual.

16. Cowboy says:

You guys who say we need to endure this movie in order to relate to our women really crack me up. You’re telling me you don’t understand one thing about the movie, or about women.

No male has any business in the theater watching these Twilight movies. No exceptions.

You do yourselves NO favors with women by going to see this swill, and EVERY favor by refusing to be sucked in.

1. Live Free or Die says:

Amen to that. Women will respect you a hell of a lot more if you stick to your guns, as opposed to just caving to their every whim.

Odd that modern society seems to want to turn men into women, and women into men.

17. Alvin Bransford says:

He should be tested for drugs, after all, he had those nasty earrins stretching out his ears.

18. Barfy says:

Before I went I ate balony, salami, hot sauce and mixed meat left out nice and warm. When I got there I had popcorn and all the goodies and drinks I could handle. Man, that birhing scene had me giving birth to a big mix of all of the above, all over the seats and people in front of me. What was the name of the movie?