FAIRFIELD (CBS13) — A Fairfield home was completely gutted by a fire Thursday afternoon.
The home is in the 200 block of E. Tennessee Street. Two firefighters working the blaze had to be hospitalized for second-degree burn wounds. They were treated at NorthBay Hospital and released later Thursday afternoon.
The fire started about 12:30 p.m. and was contained by about 1:40. It’s believed to have started in a back bedroom.
Fairfield fire Chief Vincent Webster called it a valiant fight to keep the blaze from spreading.
“Some of our gusts were probably in around 40 maybe 50 miles an hour at times, and that can do a lot of havoc on a fire,” he said.
The street was blocked off at North Texas Street for several hours. Cordelia and Suisun City crews assisted Fairfield in fighting the blaze. The single occupant of the home was not injured and was receiving assistance from the Red Cross.
Vacaville business owner Kathi Amroas was also dealing with wind damage. A home being renovated on stilts toppled by strong gusts Wednesday night fell into her salon.
“It’s a big crack in the bathroom where the brunt of the the roof just pushed,” she said.
The rubble also knocked out her electricity.
“We’re in the middle of figuring out what’s going to happen,” she said.