COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) — Several more national retailers have joined Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in pulling a batch of powdered infant formula from their shelves after a Missouri newborn who consumed it apparently died of a rare bacterial infection.

Officials at Supervalu Inc., Walgreen Co., Kroger Co. and Safeway said Friday they have removed cans of Enfamil Newborn with the lot number ZP1K7G from various stores across the country. They say it’s a precaution until health officials complete tests on the formula.

Ten-day-old Avery Cornett died Sunday after getting sick several days earlier. Preliminary hospital tests indicated he died of a rare infection caused by bacteria known as Cronobacter sakazakii.

The source of the bacteria that caused the infection hasn’t been determined, but it can be found in dried milk and powdered formula.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

  1. URFULOFIT says:

    Ah, Walmart. Again it raises its ugly head to lower our quality of life. ANY time there has been a recall in the last 5 or 10 years, Walmart has been the main corporation targeted. Many times the ONLY one. When all the toys full of lead hit the shelves, it was Walmart who was the main importer. I wonder how they developed such great connections with the companys in China that produce products that threaten the lives of American children.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s