$220,000 Stolen From Yuba City Home In Christmas Burglary

YUBA CITY (CBS13) — A Yuba City family is still coming to grips with a massive loss, and they believe whoever broke into their home watched as they left for a Christmas dinner.

The total damage is still being assessed, but at least $220,000 in cash and jewelry is gone.

“We think we were targeted because it happened within 45 minutes (of leaving),” Jesse Shanker said.

“They took everything except they left these empty boxes,” Manjit Shanker told CBS13 on Tuesday.

The jewelry boxes are bare and their home has been left with broken-down doors.

The thieves used a crowbar to shatter a glass door and somehow crawled beneath the home alarm’s motion detector to go after the small fortune.

“There’s nothing that they left, not even my fake jewelry,” Manjit Shanker said.

They had $70,000 in cash, some set aside for a planned real estate transaction, and an estimated $150,000 in gold. The Shankers believe they were targeted because their Indian culture is known to pass down valuable heirlooms.

“That’s our custom, on weddings, we give gold out to our daughters-in-law, sons-in-laws and stuff,” Manjit Shanker said.

“Right now we have nothing. They have taken every single thing we have,” Jesse Shanker said.

The Shankers said they learned a valuable lesson from the heartless heist, and hope other people seeing their story will take precautions to avoid a similar fate.

“Do not totally trust your alarm system, because those people know how to manipulate the system,” Jesse said. “Take care of your things and if you have valuables, put them in the bank.”

The Shankers are still waiting on police to process fingerprints to find out if there are any matches. Based on the damage in their home, the family believes a team of up to eight people may have broken in. They’re hoping someone saw something suspicious will come forward.

More from Steve Large
Comments

1. gna says:

Better hire a private investigator to help you fan the places they can turn that gold into cash, coin stores, collectors, things like that a PE will know where to go. . .

Then you have to figure out who cased out your pad. . . someone you knew or brought into your home knew about the goods and just waited for you to be gone
    to rob you. . .:(

1. jjj says:

I agree, had to be someone who knows them or has been in their home. The gold they have is one thing (and knowing give it out as gifts), but cash? today who does that, no many, but if so, then usually it’s people who know the, I believe. If their claim is that they do not trust banks, that’s garbage. Not really much of an excuse for that much cash to have laying around. Unless of course there is something else going on in their household…………

1. Derek says:

NO, it was money for an upcomming investment i belive, also they own a store, and banks were closed. this bank did not have a late night drop either. story makes sense.

2. Michael says:

Alarms give us a false idea that they PROTECT us. And tell this family that crime is down. 2 thoughts that hold no weight.
    We all have to give more thought to how I can protect what I have and my family.
    Access prevention in our homes is the direction we must go.

3. Rusty says:

$220K means it’s really insurance fraud in the making.

1. J says:

Rusty I agree with you, it’s the first thing that entered my mind when I read the headline of thi story. Really!!!

4. Mace says:

Why not get a safe? $199 at costco!!! This is definitely insurance fraud in the making, if not I hope they had pictures of everthing before the thieves got them. Insurance companies need appraisals of the jewelry, and the proof of the money!

5. ihatethenannystate says:

Signed
    All Criminals

1. nothingchanges says:

No doubt !

6. stan atkinson says:

I’m glad these morons were ripped off. Ever hear of a safety deposit box or savings account? Losers!

1. Derek says:

Ever heard of they had that money for property, and also an alarm system should indicate complete safety you moron.

1. rmcsticks says:

you seem to know alot about the familly !!!! maybe they should be looking at you ! I dont buy the bank was closed story and that much cash for an up coming investment, BS . sounds like the IRS needs to look at the store books…

7. kcolgrotceh says:

Really??? I’m waiting for the second half of the story. The one about how the insurance was always paid (but they don’t believe in banks)

8. rmcsticks says:

yes this was a inside job ( the owners ) sounds like a lot of non taxable money.

9. cl8978 says:

With 57.99 of that a month they could have put a Security System in… Cameras and Alarm!

10. M says:

They should consider the alarm company employee(s).
    They know the codes.

11. flowerbuglady says:

I have a cousin and her husband in Granite Bay, that had this same thing happen to them, almost two years ago. It was so devastating for them, that they still have not recovered.

12. c martin says:

at least the cops in their town bothered to take fingerprints. I couldn’t get the sacramento county sheriff’s department to even take prints when my house was burglarized on Thanksgiving day, and my loss was even largerr. I had phone records of the person involved, their time line that day, etc…. but the detective division in sac county is worthless. detective freeman didn’t even bother to speak with me or any of the witnesses. he spoke with my brothers, who i’m convinced were involved, and took their words without checking a single one of their statements. the only time detective freeman even bothered to speak with me, over the phone, no less, was to tell me it seemed to be a bizarre family problem and he wasn’t getting involved, case closed!

13. nancy pelosi says:

George Bush must have had something to do with it.

14. john says:

insurance lots of coments on this ,, insurance dose not couver more then $2500 cast and the gold too

15. TD says:

SHANKER’S ARE YUBA CITY FINEST FRAUDSTERS. THIS IS A SET UP BECAUSE THEY CAN NOT PAY THEIR DUE TAXES, SO THEY THINK HAVING THEIR HOME “FALSELY” ROBBED WILL VOID THE AMOUNT DUE. MANJEET DID NOT HAVE 150,000 GOLD, HALF OF IT WAS STOLEN FROM VIP GOLD. SHANKER IS A YUBA CITY DOG AND IS KNOWN FOR EMPLOYEMENT INSURANCE FRAUD. THEIR HOME THAT GOT ROBBED IS LISTED AS FORECLOSURE. I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED IF THEY HAD 700 IN THEIR CHEAP HOME.