Metro Fire Investigating Series Of Suspicious Fires
Don't Miss This
- Sketch Released Of Suspect Wanted For 2 Stabbings Near Downtown Sacramento
- Roseville Woman Run Over By Own SUV, Dies
- U-Haul Crashes Into Citrus Heights Home, Hitting Baby’s Room
- Davis Police MRAP Just One Of Hundreds Of Items Acquired From Military Surplus In Yolo County
- East Porterville Residents Without Water As Wells Go Dry During California Drought
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO COUNTY (CBS13) – Sacramento Metro firefighters are asking for the public’s help after responding to 14 suspicious fires since New Year’s Eve, including 11 in the last 24 hours.
Fire investigators say suspicious fires have started in North Highlands, Foothill Farms, Arden, Arcade and Carmichael areas. They say the fires that have occurred in the Carmichael area are arson and they believe they are related.
The fire department is also looking into the possibility that someone may be starting the fires as a copycat of the arson spree in Southern California this week. A suspect in those fires was arrested Monday.
“With the notoriety that that person got, we are concerned that someone is copying that,” Sac Metro Assistant Chief Scott Cockrum said.
Cockrum said eventually the arsonist will likely give investigators the leads they need.
“They’ll brag about it, or put stuff on their Facebook accounts, tell their friends,” he said. “Somebody is going to let us know who this was and we are going to catch them.”
So far, the fires here have been started in dumpsters or in the street, causing only minor damage.
Still fire officials say the calls are draining fire and sheriff resources.
Anyone with information on any of the fires is asked to call Sac Metro Fire at (916) 859-4300.