Metro Fire Investigating Series Of Suspicious Fires
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO COUNTY (CBS13) – Sacramento Metro firefighters are asking for the public’s help after responding to 14 suspicious fires since New Year’s Eve, including 11 in the last 24 hours.
Fire investigators say suspicious fires have started in North Highlands, Foothill Farms, Arden, Arcade and Carmichael areas. They say the fires that have occurred in the Carmichael area are arson and they believe they are related.
The fire department is also looking into the possibility that someone may be starting the fires as a copycat of the arson spree in Southern California this week. A suspect in those fires was arrested Monday.
“With the notoriety that that person got, we are concerned that someone is copying that,” Sac Metro Assistant Chief Scott Cockrum said.
Cockrum said eventually the arsonist will likely give investigators the leads they need.
“They’ll brag about it, or put stuff on their Facebook accounts, tell their friends,” he said. “Somebody is going to let us know who this was and we are going to catch them.”
So far, the fires here have been started in dumpsters or in the street, causing only minor damage.
Still fire officials say the calls are draining fire and sheriff resources.
Anyone with information on any of the fires is asked to call Sac Metro Fire at (916) 859-4300.