Elderly Man Admits Accidentally Sparking Reno Blaze
Don't Miss This
- Man Accused Of Stabbing Sacramento Woman To Death Arrested
- Old Sacramento’s Gold Rush Days Panned Because Of Drought
- Colusa Husband And Wife Arrested For Allegedly Kidnapping Teen Who Made Their Child Cry
- Dolls Lefts On Doorsteps Were Meant To Spread Cheer Not Chill
- 5 Women Who Have Been Killin’ It This Summer
Get Breaking News First
RENO, Nev. (AP) — Fire officials in Reno say a man has admitted to accidentally starting a huge fire that destroyed 29 homes and forced as many as 10,000 people to evacuate.
Fire Chief Michael Hernandez says the elderly man told authorities on Friday that he improperly discarded ashes from his fireplace in the Washoe Valley. He says the man is extremely remorseful and is cooperating with investigators.
Washoe County Sheriff Mike Haley says the case will be forwarded to the district attorney’s office for consideration of criminal charges.
Fire officials have increased the number of destroyed homes from 26 to 29 but scaled back the estimate of acres burned form 3,900 to about 3,200.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press)