Weather And Sports Parties Leading To Hazardous Road Conditions
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – Authorities are warning drivers to use extra care in traveling through the Sacramento area, calling the combination of wet roads and hard-partying 49ers fans who were eagerly awaiting the NFC Championship game a dangerous mix on the roadways.
The California Highway Patrol said officers have been responding to a sharp increase in accidents Sunday, and say that there appears to be far more drunk drivers on the road than unusual.
“We understand that everyone’s excited about the 49ers being in the playoffs, but they need to get a designated driver and not drink and drive,” said Officer Kelly Boyd. “That’s the worst thing you can do, especially in this weather.”
With the storm leaving as much as a quarter of an inch of rain in some areas, the alcohol factor had led to several suspected DUI wrecks by Sunday evening, authorities said.
Sacramento-area bars were packed Sunday as the 49ers played the New York Giants for a chance at playing in the Super Bowl, eventually losing in overtime 20-17. The game ended before 8:00 p.m., but intoxicated drivers were reported along the roadways well into the night.
Detailed information on the number of alcohol-related accidents weren’t immediately available Sunday evening.
Rain will likely continue to fall until Monday morning, and weather models show sunny and warmer conditions throughout the rest of the week.