UPDATE: Three People Killed In Wrong-Way Crash On Highway 50
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
RANCHO CORDOVA (CBS13) – Three people died in a crash with a wrong-way driver on Highway 50 in Rancho Cordova overnight.
The accident happened around 1 a.m. on Monday morning. Officers say a driver in a Honda CRV was traveling east in the west lanes of Highway 50 at Folsom Boulevard.
“Wrong-way drivers will typically drive in the fast lane because they think that they’re in the slow lane when they’re on the wrong side of the freeway,” CHP Officer Ivan Gregory said.
That driver, identified as Christopher Rigsby of Redwood City, slammed head-on into another SUV killing three people inside, two women and a man. Rigsby was reportedly traveling home from a South Lake Tahoe casino.
The victims were later identified as Oliverio Lopez, 51, Margarita Temblador de Lopez, 53, and Francisca Temblador Raymundo, 58.
Two other people in the SUV were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
Rigsby was also taken to UC Davis Medical Center and was listed in fair condition after surgery. The CHP says he will be booked on suspicion of DUI and possible other charges after he’s discharged from the hospital.