UPDATE: Three People Killed In Wrong-Way Crash On Highway 50
Don't Miss This
- Man Rescued From Abandoned Mother Lode Mine
- Man Gets 3-Year Jail Sentence For Torturing Puppy In Front Of Daughter
- Mom, Daughter Record Bear’s Romp Through Auburn Cemetery
- Is This You? Gas Station Surveillance Video Reveals Stockton’s Latest Lottery Millionaire
- California Bans State Agencies From Selling Or Displaying Items With Confederate Flag
Get Breaking News First
RANCHO CORDOVA (CBS13) – Three people died in a crash with a wrong-way driver on Highway 50 in Rancho Cordova overnight.
The accident happened around 1 a.m. on Monday morning. Officers say a driver in a Honda CRV was traveling east in the west lanes of Highway 50 at Folsom Boulevard.
“Wrong-way drivers will typically drive in the fast lane because they think that they’re in the slow lane when they’re on the wrong side of the freeway,” CHP Officer Ivan Gregory said.
That driver, identified as Christopher Rigsby of Redwood City, slammed head-on into another SUV killing three people inside, two women and a man. Rigsby was reportedly traveling home from a South Lake Tahoe casino.
The victims were later identified as Oliverio Lopez, 51, Margarita Temblador de Lopez, 53, and Francisca Temblador Raymundo, 58.
Two other people in the SUV were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
Rigsby was also taken to UC Davis Medical Center and was listed in fair condition after surgery. The CHP says he will be booked on suspicion of DUI and possible other charges after he’s discharged from the hospital.