UPDATE: Three People Killed In Wrong-Way Crash On Highway 50
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
RANCHO CORDOVA (CBS13) – Three people died in a crash with a wrong-way driver on Highway 50 in Rancho Cordova overnight.
The accident happened around 1 a.m. on Monday morning. Officers say a driver in a Honda CRV was traveling east in the west lanes of Highway 50 at Folsom Boulevard.
“Wrong-way drivers will typically drive in the fast lane because they think that they’re in the slow lane when they’re on the wrong side of the freeway,” CHP Officer Ivan Gregory said.
That driver, identified as Christopher Rigsby of Redwood City, slammed head-on into another SUV killing three people inside, two women and a man. Rigsby was reportedly traveling home from a South Lake Tahoe casino.
The victims were later identified as Oliverio Lopez, 51, Margarita Temblador de Lopez, 53, and Francisca Temblador Raymundo, 58.
Two other people in the SUV were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
Rigsby was also taken to UC Davis Medical Center and was listed in fair condition after surgery. The CHP says he will be booked on suspicion of DUI and possible other charges after he’s discharged from the hospital.