Sacramento City Council Vote Allows Arena Planning Process To Move Forward
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – The Sacramento city council took another big step in building a new arena on Tuesday night.
“We’ll take it; we’ll take it. A win is a win,” said Mayor Kevin Johnson.
Many in the packed chambers gave the vote a standing ovation, with Kings fans sporting matching white shirts.
“A week ago we were 5-4, we got the win barely. A 9-0 vote sends a strong message,” said Johnson.
This night’s 9-0 vote did nothing to green-light an arena. It merely kept the planning process from coming to an end.
It was a concern for arena supporters after private parking critic Sandy Sheedy led a failed effort last week to allow a public vote on the matter that would have forced the city to miss the NBA March deadline.
“It’s been a long time with no figures. We keep moving along on a whim,” said Sheedy.
“What’s being told here is dissension within the ranks. It is a love hate relationship on the city council, no question about it,” said Sacramento political strategist Doug Elmets.
But even those inside the arena negotiations are admitting this deal is nowhere done.
Fans are still a long way from an arena win. But tonight, at least, supporters didn’t lose.
We found out Mayor Johnson texted NBA commissioner David Stern right after the vote with the news.