Three Badly Burned In Tracy Drug Explosion

TRACY (CBS13) – Two men and a woman were critically injured in an explosion and fire as they were attempting to convert marijuana into butane honey oil at an apartment in Tracy on Friday night, according to police.

An explosion occurred at about 9 p.m. inside a residence at the Paradise Apartments at 1441 Parker Avenue. Multiple fire companies and medical units were required at the scene.

All of the surrounding apartments were evacuated and the fire was contained and extinguished in the one unit. No one else was injured.

All three were taken to the UC Davis Burn Unit with extensive burns covering up to 90 percent of their bodies.

Because of the nature of the explosion, members of the San Joaquin County Metro Narcotic Task Force, the California Department of Justice and the California Office of Emergency Services were called to assist in the clean-up and investigation.

Butane honey oil or hashish is extracted from marijuana during an extremely dangerous process that utilizes butane and heat. Improper ventilation and the presence of an open flame or spark can result in an explosion.

A criminal case for manufacturing of a controlled substance may be forwarded to the San Joaquin County District Attorney’s Office pending completion of an investigation after interviewing the two men and woman, who weren’t able to be sufficiently questioned because of their injuries, police said.

Police said they aren’t releasing the names of the individuals yet because no arrests have been made and all family members hadn’t been notified of their injuries.

Comments

One Comment

  1. jeff says:

    morons, a cloud of butane and oxygen indoors?, someone fail science class?

    1. nothingchanges says:

      LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. Lisa says:

    So now the tax payers get to pay for these 3 idiots medical bills from UCD Burn Unit..

  3. Cmornos says:

    Can’t feel bad about this. They also endangered others lives.

  4. Life is hard when your stupid says:

    Fortunately the taxpayers won’t have to pay for these 3 dope selling clowns forever …….. 90% burns, none of them should survive.

    1. Sequals3 says:

      ‘dope selling clowns’ – really? Ignorant people are ignorant.

  5. The Blogger says:

    Call this a lesson learned…..

    This is a prime example why Marijuana should be legal.

    Novices should not be mixing weed & butane.

    Geez…. It’s a no brainer.

    http://www.sacramento-blog-uncut.blogspot.com

  6. Ron says:

    Ever heard of “Natural Selection”?

    Perfect example.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Sacramento

Sign-Up Now For Our 2016 Knockout Pool
Tickets to aftershock now on sale

Listen Live