‘Cash Mob’ Invades Folsom Restaurant
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
FOLSOM (CBS13) — You’ve probably heard of a “flash mob” by now, but what about a “cash mob?” The idea is to mob a local business to help boost its sales.
“It’s something that’s been happening across the nation,” organizer Becky Moirao said.
And on Saturday, it happened in Folsom for the first time. Relylocal.dom relied on social media sites to organize the cash mob at the Fresh Mex Express Mexican Grill on Prairie City Road.
“We just ask people to come spend $10,” Moirao said. “It’s a simple concept, but it gives that business a nice boost.”
Lupe Kinsella heard about it on Twitter and couldn’t resist. “I support it 100 percent,” she said. “I think it’s a great idea, a great way to support local businesses.”
Owner Alex Bazadegarcia says loyal customers have allowed her family to keep their three locations open, and the cash mob provided a nice bump in sales.
“I love it,” she said. “This is town people helping a town business.”
Moirao said the goal is to get people thinking about where they’re spending their money.
When residents spend locally, she says, “the majority stays in the local economy and recirculates, so it just makes for a healthier economy.”