Triple-Slaying Survivor Hid In Closet, Called 911
Don't Miss This
- CHP Officers, Teacher Help Santa Deliver Presents To Boy Who Didn’t Get Visit Last Year
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
MODESTO (CBS13/AP) — Police and family members say an 18-year-old woman survived a weekend shooting at her Modesto home that killed three others.
Family members of the victims told the Modesto Bee that the pregnant teenager hid in a closet and called 911 early Saturday morning. Modesto police Lt. Rick Armendariz confirmed that a person survived the shooting and called 911 from the home but would not give any other details.
Meanwhile, police in the nearby city of Ceres re-arrested the woman’s boyfriend, Richard Garcia, Sunday night on allegations that he held her captive and beat her in a previous incident spanning nine days.
He was back in custody Monday and a criminal complaint on the domestic violence case was written and filed against him on the same day, said Carol Shipley of the Stanislaus County District Attorney’s Office.
The complaint charges Garcia, who also goes by Garibay, with felony counts of assault likely to produce great bodily injury, torture, battery on a spouse or cohabitor, threating to commit a crime that would result in death or injury, and false imprisonment. The charges are enhanced because Garibay is alleged to have used a gun and knife while making the threats, and because harm was inflicted on his girlfriend, the complaint says.
His bail was set at $1.18 million.
Shipley said Garibay had posted bail immediately after his initial arrest and would have been arraigned on the charges at a later date. This time, the district attorney’s office filed immediately when Ceres police picked him up Sunday night on an outstanding warrant.
Modesto police have not said if there’s a link between the two cases, or if the boyfriend is a suspect in the killings. However, they do say they believe the suspect targeted the residents inside the Modesto home.
“This is a very complex investigation and for us to comment or speculate on specific information on this active and open case, would be irresponsible and could jeopardize the integrity of the investigation” said Lieutenant Scott Heller, who is the Investigation Services Assistant Division commander. “Our goal is clear, and that is to conduct a thorough and detailed investigation that will ultimately lead to the identity and apprehension of the suspect or suspects responsible for this horrific crime.”
The victims were identified as 31-year-old Edward Reinig, 19-year-old Alyxandria Tellez and 16-year-old David Siebels. All three were Modesto residents. The survivor was Siebels’ sister.
CBS13 talked to some people close to the situation who believe the pregnant 18-year-old was the intended target. On her Facebook page, she wrote “it just should have been me, not them.”
Also on Monday, friends of David Siebels held a car wash to raise funds for his funeral arrangements.
“I just didn’t want the tombstone to be there and not say his name or something to know that people did care about him,” said one woman at the car wash who didn’t want to give her name.