California Inmates Petition UN To Monitor Prisons

LOS ANGELES (AP) — California prison inmates who are held in solitary confinement are petitioning the United Nations to intervene to stop the practice.

Advocates for the inmates and their families held a news conference Tuesday in Los Angeles and made public a petition directed to the organization.

About 4,200 inmates are held in isolation in California prisons and attorney Peter Schey says about 400 are represented in the petition.

Six-thousand inmates in 13 prisons stopped eating last summer to protest the isolation policy.

Prison officials recently proposed changes that would make it easier for inmates to earn their way out of solitary confinement.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

Comments

1. DisgruntledVet says:

Really? They gave up ALL OF THEIR RIGHTS when they decided to commit crimes. And now they want solitary confinement abolished? What a load of garbage.

1. Patricia says:

Wow, you really are disgruntled aren’t you. In case you haven’t heard carrying around such a heavy load of bitterness is bad for your health

2. MAC49 says:

DesgruntledVet, For what its worth, Patricia, Sucks the big one, so Just ignore ignorant people. He, She, or It must have someone in the penal system. POOR ME, POOR ME, I don’t deserve this, with no reguard to what they have done to someone else and their families.

1. Patricia says:

I don’t care what people think about me, I pay my taxes, am a law abiding citizen and BEFORE I LEAVE COMMENTS I DO MY HOMEWORK. Take this for what its worth…..those in the SHU are not all violent criminals and have been placed there for simple items such as a drawing or a contact in a phone book. NOW if you thiink this activity is worth spending 80Kper year on this type of inmate versus an college education, well than you have serious issues. BUT none the less you can talk about me all you want and hopefully I become your worse nightmare because the more you think about the truth in this matter (which by the way you would know if you did some research) it will hurt. Have a good day ya’ll

2. MAC49 says:

Your not only my biggest nightmare, liberals are everyones nightmare. Your way of thinking is what has gotten this country into this pathetic mess. Poor Poor Me, Is that all you can relate to, Poor me and my convicts. You and the rest of you liberals need more help than is possible. Brainwashing is hard to reverse. Work in the prisons and deal with the A$$’s then you can have a right to talk CHIC! Until then STFU.

2. MAC49 says:

Sounds like the tail wagging the dog, once again, the liberal A$$’s will Prevail. You do the crime you do the time, YOU LOSE YOUR RIGHTS! ….YOU HAVE NONE!

3. PRISON UNBIBLICAL TORTURE says:

Posted on my Facebook page: Can you read between the lines? In the comments…can you guess what MAC49 does for a living?

1. MAC49 says:

PRISON UNBIBLICAL TORTURE? Get a grip, Let something horrific happen to you or one of your family members, then talk. I sure don’t wish that on anyone, but if it does, don’t ask the courts to hold them accountable.

4. Patricia says:

@MAC49, This will be the last comment I will respond to because you obviously have some deep rooted issues. Check this out. I never once said any of these inmates should be set free, to the contrary all I ever said was that spending 80k per year on an inmate with no write ups in 10 years for any violent offense is costing CA too much money. I am saying that due to the state’s financial crisis WE should be considering being realistic. In addition, since we know that long term solitary confinement creates long term psychological issues, who will be responsible for the health care of these inmates.( US) the tax payers. I am so cool with you having an opinion because it doesn’t prove yours is more relevant than mine. What I am not cool with is that you choose to use a public forum to spew hate! Despite you disrepcting me by telling me to STFU I am still gonna leave you with HAVE A NICE DAY!