Elk Grove Considers Banning Smoking In All Apartment Complexes
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
ELK GROVE (CBS13) – You’ve heard the saying smoke ‘em if you got ‘em. But if you got ‘em and you live in an apartment complex in Elk Grove, the luxury of lighting up may soon go up in smoke.
“i think it’s a pretty good idea,” one apartment resident said.
He’s talking about the possibility of banning smoking in all apartment complexes in the city.
A Sacramento-based trade association that works with landlords is against the idea, however.
“We don’t think it’s necessary,” said Cory Koehler with the Rental Housing Association. We support an owner’s right to choose the policy that’s in the best interest of their particular property. But what we don’t support is a new law by local government forcing the owner to do that.”
That’s because hundreds of apartment complexes in Elk Grove are already smoke-free. Property owners – many argue – have made the move without government intervention.
But a father and apartment resident wants the ban to go into effect:
“I think it’s harmful to the human body and especially to younger kids who live here,” he said.
Others say no way and are left shaking their heads.
“I don’t think it’s right,” one resident said. “That’s kind of violating people’s rights.”
The right to light up vs. the power of a possible ordinance – this smokin’ hot debate over a cigarette showdown has only just begun.
The City Council will take up the issue at its meeting next week.