Police Officer Fatally Shoots Man Inside Fairfield Home
Don't Miss This
- Woman Walking With 2-Year-Old Son Hit, Killed By Man Driving Drunk
- Citrus Heights Gaming Hall Actually Slashes Crime In Surrounding Area
- Starting Tuesday, California Law Requires Drivers To Give Cyclists 3 Feet Of Space On Road
- Missing Christian Brothers High School Volleyball Coach Found Alive In Oregon
- Police Detain ‘Django Unchained’ Actress In LA
Get Breaking News First
FAIRFIELD (CBS13) – A 51-year-old man was shot in an encounter with a Fairfield police officer Monday night and later died at an area hospital.
The department confirmed the incident happened in the 700 block of Gold Coast Drive, a normally quiet residential area near Dover Avenue, around 6 p.m.
Police say the suspect opened the door and immediately started struggling with the officer, a 16-year veteran who was following up on another case that led him to the house on Gold Coast, near Fairfield High School. The officer did call for backup but shot the man before other officers could arrive, police said. He was shot just inside the doorway.
Two people who were in the house were taken to the police station as witnesses.
A neighbor told CBS13 that an elderly woman and her adult son who live in the home police responded to have a history of fighting.
The man’s and the officer’s names were being withheld Monday night.
The Solano County District Attorney’s Office will investigate the shooting.