Ocean Boat Races Halted After Fatal San Francisco Crash
Don't Miss This
- Raw: Driver Records Cellphone Video Of Stockton Shootout
- Get Ready For More Delays As Interstate 80 Project Will Close Lanes Starting Saturday
- Video: Family, Friends Mourn Death Of Woman Taken Hostage By Bank Robbery Suspects
- Video: Man Killed In Bank Heist, Shootout Was Suspect In January Robbery At Same Bank, Say Detectives
- Portia De Rossi Reportedly Filmed Drunken Fights With Ellen
Get Breaking News First
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Coast Guard has temporarily stopped boat races in San Francisco Bay area ocean waters following a deadly yacht crash.
The restriction issued Thursday requires racing vessels to stay within the bay.
Coast Guard Capt. Cynthia Stowe said it would allow the Coast Guard and the offshore racing community to improve safety. A safety review by US Sailing, the governing body of yacht racing, is expected to be completed within the next month.
The restriction comes after five crew members of the 38-foot boat Low Speed Chase died when the vessel was hit by waves while rounding the Farallon Islands in the Pacific during an April 14 race.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.