Two Firefighters Injured Battling Two-Alarm Garage Fire
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A viewer’s video caught massive flames of a blazing fire on a day that was already baking.
“It was a big fire, probably the biggest house fire I ever saw,” said neighbor DeAndray Jackson.
Firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire in the 2000 block of Norcade Circle in the Rosemont community.
Fires on days with high temperatures become especially dangerous for firefighters.
“We ended up calling a second alarm, mainly to get the additional resources here in an effort to exchange firefighters out,” said Sacramento Metro Fire Assistant Chief Scott Cockrum.
With a high of 97 degrees, added to a roaring fire, there is no escaping the heat.
“At the second story it’s going to be over a thousand degrees,” said Cockrum.
It becomes a recipe for major problems. On Sunday firefighters learned that the hard way.
“It was pretty intense,” said neighbor Ty Johnson.
Two Sacramento Metro firefighters who responded to the massive garage fire were overcome by the heat and sent to the hospital for treatment.
“The outfits that we wear, the SCBA’s and the mask, you sweat through a shirt in about three minutes,” said Cockrum.
That’s why fire crews called in more resources for a quadplex that went up in flames, so they could take more breaks.
“When the firefighters got here they started cutting down the walls and cutting into the roof and then you started seeing the flames,” said Jackson.
A roaring hot fire on a sweltering day made a dangerous job that much more.
“From it already being like 104 degrees and with the fire, it was super hot,” said Jackson.
The building was abandoned, and it is believed that the fire was started by squatters.