UPDATE: Child Killed In 4th Of July Drive-By Shooting Identified
Don't Miss This
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
- Folsom District’s Response To Seventh-Grader’s Suicide Drawing Heavy Scrutiny
SOUTH SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A three-year-old boy who died after being shot in a 4th of July drive-by shooting in south Sacramento has been identified.
The Sacramento County Coroner’s office website identifies the child as Jorge Azios.
Sacramento County Sheriff’s deputies were called to a hospital in south Sacramento County just after 11:00 p.m. Wednesday night for reports of a child shot.
Azios’ father drove Jorge to the hospital when he realized his son had been hit by bullets after an unidentified vehicle fired multiple shots at their vehicle at the corner of Loucreta Drive and Palmer House Drive.
Doctors say Jorge had multiple gunshot wounds and did not survive.
“This is a drive by shooting and normally synonymous with gang activity or some kind of gang rivalries going on,” said Dep. Jason Ramos, Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department.
Detectives are investigating. At this time, they do not have a motive for the shooting and no information about the suspects or suspect vehicle is available.
“I think it’s someone, just randomly out there, ‘oh it’s Fourth of July,’ so shoot some things up, I don’t know,” said Virginia Sanchez, Azios’ grandmother.
Whatever the reason, the little boy was almost certainly not the target, and Sanchez is begging for justice.
“If anybody has any kind of heart, any kind of heart, or feels anything for children, they have children or grandchildren, they should step up if they know something,” said Sanchez.