Swastika Symbol Burned Into Table At Davis School
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
DAVIS (CBS13) – A swastika burned into a picnic table at a junior high school is the third symbol of hate to show up in Davis in less than a month.
A Holmes Junior High employee spotted it Monday morning and police were called at about 9:30 a.m. Someone took the time to burn it into a metal table, and investigators say it appears the culprit used hay or dry grass to speed up the process.
“Schools during the summertime tend to be a target for these types of vandalisms,” Davis Police Lt. Paul Doroshov said.
The swastika incident follows a noose hanging on the football goal post at Davis High and another swastika on a bike trail.
So far police don’t have any reason to believe the three incidents are connected but can’t rule anything out.
Still, residents are concerned about who is behind the potential acts of terror.
Community activist Jann Murray Garcia says this latest symbol of hate demonstrates the need for greater tolerance and understanding even in a town like Davis.
“It’s disturbing, disappointing,” she said. “I think someone is asking this community a question about who we are and what we stand for.”