Woodland Girl Home After Weeks In Hospital Recovering After Sparkler Ignites Her Clothing
Don't Miss This
- 49ers Fan Who Bought Game Ticket Online Receives Pricey Parking Pass
- Man Faces Jail Time Or $4,000 Fine For Not Watering Lawn
- Thieves Ransack Rio Linda Airman’s Home While He Was Deployed Overseas
- Fresno Man Who Killed Co-Worker, Cut Out Heart, Released From Prison Over Governor’s Objection
- Jackson Teen Leading Rally Against Washington Redskins’ Name At San Francisco 49ers Game
WOODLAND (CBS13) – It was a holiday horror after a 6-year-old playing with a sparkler gets third degree burns on 15 percent of her body.
It’s been a rough few weeks for Skylah Carr, whose had to undergo skin graphs and dressing changes; but all things considered, she’s doing remarkably well after what happened to her on the Fourth of July.
After three weeks in the hospital, Skylah is finally home.
“I itch,” said Skylah.
With months of recovery ahead of her, her scars are a permanent reminder of a normally fun night that went terribly wrong.
Her family bought the fireworks and taught Skylah how to hold the sparkler correctly, but a spark caught her skirt.
“The majority of the burns are on the back of her legs,” said Skylah’s mother.
She had to undergo skin graphs that so far seem to have taken.
“She’s one of the toughest kids I know the way she bounced back the resilience that she has the toughness that she has,” said Leon Carr, her father.
But she still can’t really walk, and her physical therapy is intense.
“It hurts,” said Skylah.
So the family is using this experience as a way to spread a message.
“If you look at children’s pajamas, they are all standard flame retardant. Children’s Halloween costumes, they are standard flame retardant; but not t-shirts and pants and skirts,” said Leon.
So Skylah’s dad says he’ll be approaching his congressman to hopefully require clothing makers to make only flame retardant children’s clothing.
Skylah thinks that’s a good idea.
But says her Fourth of July in the years to come will never quite be the same, as she plans to stay away from sparklers.
“Because they’re dangerous,” said Skylah.
Doctors are hopeful she’ll make a full recovery in nine months.
The family says that while Skylah was in the hospital, all the doctors and nurses at Shriners were absolutely the best and just wanted to thank them.