Dog Killed In House Fire Caused By Unattended Cigarette

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – A dog was killed Friday during an accidental house fire in Sacramento that could have been avoided.

The fire started at a home off Whitney Avenue in the Arden Arcade area. Sacramento Metro Fire crews say there was smoke coming from the home when they arrived. Once inside the home, they say they found a smoldering mattress that had been burning for some time.

Unfortunately, crews were not able to save the dog.

“An animal can react pretty unpredictably and not understand what to do. You need to have a plan to get animals out, but also once you’ve removed yourself from harm’s way, avoid temptation of putting yourself back in it,” said a fire official.

Fire investigators believe a cigarette started the fire.

No one was inside the home when the fire started.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Sacramento

Sign-Up Now For Our 2016 Knockout Pool
Tickets to aftershock now on sale

Listen Live