Flesh-Eating Bacteria Killed Texas Boy In California

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A 7-year-old Texas boy who died during a Southern California vacation was killed by flesh-eating bacteria.

The San Diego County medical examiner’s office says Tevita Alatini died on July 10 after the infection spread to muscle tissue. The office didn’t say how he might have contracted the infection.

Authorities say the boy also had anemia caused by an autoimmune condition and that contributed to his death.

Tevita was hospitalized only days after he and his family arrived in San Diego County last month from Spring, Texas. His uncle, Sione Niko, told the North County Times that the boy became increasingly sick and his parents noticed a red spot under his arm.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Sacramento

Sign-Up Now For Our 2016 Knockout Pool
Tickets to aftershock now on sale

Listen Live