Flesh-Eating Bacteria Killed Texas Boy In California
Don't Miss This
Get Breaking News First
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A 7-year-old Texas boy who died during a Southern California vacation was killed by flesh-eating bacteria.
The San Diego County medical examiner’s office says Tevita Alatini died on July 10 after the infection spread to muscle tissue. The office didn’t say how he might have contracted the infection.
Authorities say the boy also had anemia caused by an autoimmune condition and that contributed to his death.
Tevita was hospitalized only days after he and his family arrived in San Diego County last month from Spring, Texas. His uncle, Sione Niko, told the North County Times that the boy became increasingly sick and his parents noticed a red spot under his arm.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.