8-Year-Old Boy Dies; Father Jailed On Child Abuse Charges
Don't Miss This
- ICE: Local Authorities Have Denied 8,800 Federal Immigration Hold Requests This Year
- Modesto Wants To Crack Down On Residents Parking Cars On Lawns
- Republican Lawmakers Call For Travel Ban From West Africa Amid Ebola Fears
- Taryn Manning Of ‘Orange Is the New Black’ To Headline Grave Digger’s Ball
- Is Former Sacramento Real-Estate Mogul Once Accused Of Secret Recording At It Again?
Get Breaking News First
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – An 8-year-old boy has died and his father is behind bars in connection with the death.
Eshawn Bonnard died Wednesday at the UC Davis Medical Center, more than a week after he arrived. The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department says he suffered internal injuries resulting from blunt force trauma.
On August 27, deputies were called by doctors at UC Davis Medical Center for a report of possible child abuse.
CBS13 obtained court documents that allege Robert Bonnard would beat his son on more than one occasion, at least once with a vacuum cleaner attachment.
Those beatings eventually causing severe swelling to the 8-year-old’s brain, putting him into a coma before he died Wednesday.
Doctors and paramedics were told Eschawn had a seizure; however, following a medical evaluation, deputies determined the injuries were caused by the boy’s father, Bonnard, 31. He was arrested at the hospital on charges of corporal injury to a child and felony child endangerment.
“The paramedics picked the boy up, put him on the bed and covered him up,” said neighbor Barbara.
Eshawn’s grandmother released a statement Thursday afternoon saying, “The family is devastated and requests privacy during this time. The family appreciates all the prayers.”
It’s unclear what, if any, additional charges Bonnard will face.