8-Year-Old Boy Dies; Father Jailed On Child Abuse Charges
Don't Miss This
- Lawyer Allegedly Caught During Sexual Encounter With Jailed Inmate Fires Back
- Man Allegedly Sets Himself And Wife On Fire In Stockton
- Davis Teen Gets 52 Years To Life In Brutal Slaying Of Elderly Couple In Their Beds
- Caltrans May Pick Up The Tab For Your Car’s Pothole Damage
- Folsom District’s Response To Seventh-Grader’s Suicide Drawing Heavy Scrutiny
SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – An 8-year-old boy has died and his father is behind bars in connection with the death.
Eshawn Bonnard died Wednesday at the UC Davis Medical Center, more than a week after he arrived. The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department says he suffered internal injuries resulting from blunt force trauma.
On August 27, deputies were called by doctors at UC Davis Medical Center for a report of possible child abuse.
CBS13 obtained court documents that allege Robert Bonnard would beat his son on more than one occasion, at least once with a vacuum cleaner attachment.
Those beatings eventually causing severe swelling to the 8-year-old’s brain, putting him into a coma before he died Wednesday.
Doctors and paramedics were told Eschawn had a seizure; however, following a medical evaluation, deputies determined the injuries were caused by the boy’s father, Bonnard, 31. He was arrested at the hospital on charges of corporal injury to a child and felony child endangerment.
“The paramedics picked the boy up, put him on the bed and covered him up,” said neighbor Barbara.
Eshawn’s grandmother released a statement Thursday afternoon saying, “The family is devastated and requests privacy during this time. The family appreciates all the prayers.”
It’s unclear what, if any, additional charges Bonnard will face.